Finding a new Daily Driver Laptop

So I am looking to replace the laptop I got in 2013 (Macbook Pro)

I no longer need OSX and if I do that laptop is more than capable of doing what I'd need in OSX.

What I am looking for is its replacement as my daily travel laptop.

Also in the short term it will be my main computer as I am temporarily moving overseas and taking my PC with me is going to be way too complicated.

Besides gaming while I'm living over seas this wont see much gaming use unless I'm traveling for work so if I just need to plan on an eGPU case for my existing 2017 that's fine.

I would also like it to be VR capable in the end as I would like to take my rift with me when I move.

I have been looking at the following

• Razer Blade Advanced (2060 or the 2070 Max-Q)
  • MSI GS65 (2060 or the 2070 Max-Q)

I also considered the Asus Zephyrus GX531 but they keyboard position and track pad do not seem the best for something I intend to use while traveling.

I am open to suggestions and reviews of other laptops but my main considerations for a new laptop are

• Portable (This will live in a currier bad or rolling laptop bag)
  • 15" ish screen (the overall laptop width cant really be bigger than 15 inches to fit my bag)
  • VR capable (with eGPU if thats the only option to fit other needs)
  • 16GB RAM
  • Will last me a while.
  • $2500 is what I'm setting as a goal since it's about what the macbook its replacing cost in 2013

The GS65 is one sweet machine provided you can repaste the thermal paste on the CPU to tame mitigate any overheating issues or you can get it from HIDevolution and customize the order to add "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads"

see these 2 variants:

Custom Built MSI GS65 8SF Stealth-004 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz - i7-8750H - RTX 2070 Max-Q

Custom Built MSI GS65 8SG Stealth-005 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz - i7-8750H - RTX 2080 Max-Q

Another awesome laptop is the Alienware M15, see:

Alienware M15

It can be equipped with two M.2 SSDs + a 2.5inch drive or if you want more battery life, you can configure it to remove the 2.5inch bay and have a larger 90WHr battery

Since you are on the move, HIDevolution also has a global warranty which is why I always buy from them other than superb build quality, you see, I live in Dubai and I was worried if I'd ever need the warranty about the shipping costs back to Dubai, but with their global warranty option, that covers shipping costs should you ever need to send it in for servicing.

On a side note, the Alienware has on site tech support so whichever country you're in, you can call Dell in that country and have them move the warranty to them free of charge!

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

7 hours ago, bgsteiner said:
  • Will last me a while

In terms of performance or reliability?

Where are you from? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

16 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

In terms of performance or reliability?

Where are you from? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

USA, and those don't matter as it would severely limit what is available.

10 hours ago, bgsteiner said:

and those don't matter as it would severely limit what is available.

Why not bulkier+thicker 15 inch gaming laptops with better cooling? (doesn't have to go >3kg)

2070:

Clevo PB51EF-G

MSI GE63 8SF

(some 2060 models below has 2070 non-MaxQ option but can't cool it well, therefore they are not included here)

2060:

Lenovo Legion Y740 15

MSI GE63 8SE

Asus GL504GV

Eluktronics Mech-15 G2 / CyberpowerPC Tracer III 15R Slim VR 700 (TongFang GK5CP0Z)

AW m15 - be aware of potential bad heatsink

HP Omen 15-dc customize with 144Hz panel

Clevo P960ED

Aorus 15 w9

Dell G7 7590 - no 144Hz option in 2060 model, same issue with G5 5590 (but has slightly better cooling to counteract)

Dell G5 5590 - be aware of CPU overheating issue (no power limit control when GPU is under load)

1070:

MSI GE63/GP63 8RF

Asus GM501GS

Dual channel memory is highly recommended. Upgrade RAM and SSD by yourself if possible (usually cheaper cost)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128