Performance evaluation for i5 7400

Booted up my brother's PC with the intention to see what kind of improvements I could make. His parts are these.

Since he's got single channel ram, I wanted to see what I could do with dual channel, so I borrowed some corsair dominators from a friend and tossed them in. At 2400MHz, the CPU was actually able to push a bit harder, in Overwatch I was significantly less limited and so whatever particle effects and logistics were straining the system before are a little easier. I didn't suffer from the stutters it used to have.

However, For Honor, with its AI logistics and robust level environments, still gave this old quad core a hard time. Jittering stutters and drops below 30 FPS abound. My "benchmark" was twofold: can I run this previously struggling game well, and can I watch youtube or some other simple background task while doing it? While running the games alone showed good improvement, the simple presence of an active webpage is tough for a last gen i5. (Steam downloads also introduced some issues, but they may be unrelated).

Quad cores really do seem to be on their way out, but i'd love to have the chance to do more test like this. If anyone has similar experiences, let me know. I often use my brother's PC as an example of a good case by case bottleneck scenario, and more info to back that up would be nice.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Booted up my brother's PC with the intention to see what kind of improvements I could make. His parts are these.

Since he's got single channel ram, I wanted to see what I could do with dual channel, so I borrowed some corsair dominators from a friend and tossed them in. At 2400MHz, the CPU was actually able to push a bit harder, in Overwatch I was significantly less limited and so whatever particle effects and logistics were straining the system before are a little easier. I didn't suffer from the stutters it used to have.

However, For Honor, with its AI logistics and robust level environments, still gave this old quad core a hard time. Jittering stutters and drops below 30 FPS abound. My "benchmark" was twofold: can I run this previously struggling game well, and can I watch youtube or some other simple background task while doing it. While running the games alone showed good improvement, the simple presence of an active webpage is tough for a last gen i5. (Steam downloads also introduced some issues, but they may be unrelated).

Quad cores erally do seem to be on their way out, but i'd love to have the chance to do more test like this. If anyone has similar experiences, let me know. I often use my brother's PC as an example of a good case by case bottleneck scenario, and more info to back that up would be nice.

Wow.. that CPU isn't even that old.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Quad cores erally do seem to be on their way out, but i'd love to have the chance to do more test like this. If anyone has similar experiences, let me know. I often use my brother's PC as an example of a good case by case bottleneck scenario, and more info to back that up would be nice.

I would argue that the i5-7400 also isn't that good of a CPU, which may or may not effect the outcome.

Something better such as a 7700K would yield better results, I'm sure.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If anything, I'd say the thing holding it back more than others, is the clock speed of the locked CPU in this case maybe. Although I agree with you about the lack of more cores being a hindrance too, I think with a higher clocked quad core you'd see less issues maybe. Plus if you had hyperthreading/SMT would go a long way to improving it too.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

41 minutes ago, food158 said:

Wow.. that CPU isn't even that old.

I know right? Intel bumming around and failing to innovate didn't help the ol' quad core.

36 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would argue that the i5-7400 also isn't that good of a CPU, which may or may not effect the outcome.

Something better such as a 7700K would yield better results, I'm sure.

7 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

If anything, I'd say the thing holding it back more than others, is the clock speed of the locked CPU in this case maybe. Although I agree with you about the lack of more cores being a hindrance too, I think with a higher clocked quad core you'd see less issues maybe. Plus if you had hyperthreading/SMT would go a long way to improving it too.

Yes, the all core turbo is a meager 3.2GHz and I tried to improve this with turbo enhancements in the BIOS to no avail. Background tasks like the aforementioned steam downloads and YouTube playback would love HT as well. I've considered an i7 7700 or 6700 off eBay or something, which would yield quite a boost, but my brother plans on selling this PC so there's no point. w/ keyboard, mouse, microphone, and monitor, it'll fetch around $600 or so and I plan on getting a Ryzen 3000 CPU and see what Navi brings for a home sleeper for general use to replace it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Yes, the all core turbo is a meager 3.2GHz and I tried to improve this with turbo enhancements in the BIOS to no avail. Background tasks like the aforementioned steam downloads and YouTube playback would love HT as well. I've considered an i7 7700 or 6700 off eBay or something, which would yield quite a boost, but my brother plans on selling this PC so there's no point. w/ keyboard, mouse, microphone, and monitor, it'll fetch around $600 or so and I plan on getting a Ryzen 3000 CPU and see what Navi brings for a home sleeper for general use to replace it.

I'm hoping to make a jump for Ryzen 3xxx this year as well, gonna repurpose my current rig as a streaming box/gaming PC for when friends come over.

Intel's lack of innovation goes way beyond the 7400, a 2600K isn't that much worse than an 8700K.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah, that's a good call I think. For that money he should be able to get a 6 or 8 core, b550, ram, and possibly GPU depending on what navi brings... but even if navi is too much, there's always a 1660ti,rx590 etc around.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, that's a good call I think. For that money he should be able to get a 6 or 8 core, b550, ram, and possibly GPU depending on what navi brings... but even if navi is too much, there's always a 1660ti,rx590 etc around.

I plan on stepping down instead of up from the 970, if not just matching it. Low end 1080p card is what I'm after, and if the rumored iGPU skus are decent at it, I'm all about it.

That being said, I would have loved to keep this system as a test bench for more data, since quad cores and even dual cores are still favored by some people. I've seen recommendations for the G4560 and 200GE (even though the latter just superior as it offers an actual upgrade path) so seeing the evolution of gaming performance on these CPUs is pretty useful.

Primary PC:

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

I plan on stepping down instead of up from the 970, if not just matching it. Low end 1080p card is what I'm after, and if the rumored iGPU skus are decent at it, I'm all about it.

That being said, I would have loved to keep this system as a test bench for more data, since quad cores and even dual cores are still favored by some people. I've seen recommendations for the G4560 and 200GE (even though the latter just superior as it offers an actual upgrade path) so seeing the evolution of gaming performance on these CPUs is pretty useful.

Yeah, me too, waiting to see if the low end APUs are gonna be even better than the 200GE.. have been considering that for my rebuild server for a while, but keep putting it off as I want to see what 3rd gen brings. I may just get one anyway, and if I want to upgrade just sell it again.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini