Good deal or look for a different build?

jaslion

Hello,

In my search for a decently cheap replacement system for me (we had a storm and well rip everything but my laptop and a couple other things)  I've come across this:

I7 3820k

16gb of ram

120gb 840 evo

Asus P9x79

Quadro 2000 (If my quadro k6000 still works then that will replace it)

cx 550 (green label will toss and replace with a seasonic m12II 620 I have here)

Some old thick 140mm watercooler (will replace with a cryorig h7 I have here if it looks sketchy)

All for 295€

Doesn't seem too bad of a deal considering that board can also almost any v2 xeon out there so that can be a nice upgrade for me.

I game a bit but mostly use my pc for productivity tasks like drawing, logo design, 3D modeling, sculpting, character rigging, animating said characters,...

This is to replace a ryzen 1600 and I'm trying to spend as little as possible to get the best as I've recently been fired from my primary job and am currently living of my secondary job and commision work (which has now taken a huge blow due to only have 1 computer to work on).

Any help would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This is to replace a ryzen 1600

stop

right there

wait a couple months for zen2

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

stop

right there

wait a couple months for zen2

I can't wait a couple months. I need a computer now as this is currently one of my 2 main sources of income.

Also my ryzen 1600 pc is like dead dead due to water from the storm.

"cx 550 (green label will toss and replace with a seasonic m12II 620 I have here)"

what the m12ii is worse (unless it's 750w or 850w in which go ahead)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

"cx 550 (green label will toss and replace with a seasonic m12II 620 I have here)"

what the m12ii is worse (unless it's 750w or 850w in which go ahead)

The green label cx's are known to fail so I'm not gonna risk using those. The seasonic is a good psu. Nothing special just a newer version of the good old reliable S12II series.

Just now, jaslion said:

The green label cx's are known to fail so I'm not gonna risk using those. The seasonic is a good psu. Nothing special just a newer version of the good old reliable S12II series.

The S12II is absolute shit though, it's from 2007. However do go for it since this is an older system, so the PSU is probably fine, especially if it's the newer 2013 version.

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

The S12II is absolute shit though, it's from 2007. However do go for it since this is an older system, so the PSU is probably fine, especially if it's the newer 2013 version.

True compared to what we have nowadays both the S12II and M12II evo's are pretty meh. But anything beats the cx green labels :p. Might as well spend a bit of money and get something better anyways.

40 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

42 minutes ago, jaslion said:

the CX550 are the new ones only.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

the CX550 are the new ones only.

probably meant the CX500 then

14 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

probably meant the CX500 then

Probably. In the description it says cx 550 and in the screenshot all I can see is Cx 5 but it's the green label

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Characterization of the M/S12II is inaccurate and hyperbolic. https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-s12ii-bronze-520-w-power-supply-review/10/https://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/18/seasonic_m12ii620_power_supply_review/9

That said, they are not models I'd want to use in a new build. Modern psu have much better protections and one will not have to make BIOS adjustments for low power states.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 minutes ago, brob said:

Characterization of the M/S12II is inaccurate and hyperbolic. https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-s12ii-bronze-520-w-power-supply-review/10/https://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/18/seasonic_m12ii620_power_supply_review/9

That said, they are not models I'd want to use in a new build. Modern psu have much better protections and one will not have to make BIOS adjustments for low power states.

both of them are from 9 years ago

Anyways can I get some advice on the build apart from the psu which I'll just change?

On 3/15/2019 at 4:07 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

A sério? eu tenho e não parece ter nada de mal. Qual é o problema com a psu?

really? I have it and it does not appear to be anything wrong. What is the issue with it?

38 minutes ago, filiboss123 said:

A sério? eu tenho e não parece ter nada de mal. Qual é o problema com a psu?

really? I have it and it does not appear to be anything wrong. What is the issue with it?

É 'group regulated', e muito muito velho. 2013 (a versão que é vendida nas lojas) foi 6 anos atrás!

Não vai causar problemas com o teu hardware, mas apostava que morria em 3-5 anos (e matava uns poucos componentes com a fonte também) em vez de os 7-12 anos que fontes de energias modernas duram. Também algumas fontes de energias não têm todas as proteções (que é muito mau), mas eu ainda não verifiquei.