Jump to content

AM4 motherboards with front-side USB-C?

Hello!

 

I really want to get front-side USB-C. I have a case picked out with a port, but my choice of the B450 Tomahawk motherboard doesn't have a USB-C header.

 

Are there any AM4 motherboards that have it? I can only find the X470 Strix, which is double the price. Otherwise, can I find a PCI-E card with a header that would provide functionality?

 

Thanks all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LinusOnLine said:

Get a Crosshair 7 it has everything :)

and is like 3 times the price...

 

and a bit overpriced imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

and is like 3 times the price...

 

and a bit overpriced imo

I love it. Probably the component in my system that I am the most pleased with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

to quote newegg

Quote

AMD B450 Chipset
1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) Type-C port

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

MSI has the tomahawk specifications on their site, it says that it only has the Type C Gen2 on the rear, no front header. Check some other motherboards supposedly of higher quality. (Higher quality = Maybe some x470 boards or the b450 carbon from MSI)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

to quote newegg

 

NewEgg is what fooled me into choosing it in the beginning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, DeltaGemini said:

NewEgg is what fooled me into choosing it in the beginning.

ah, so newegg is wrong again...

 

that sounds about expected... brb

 

i'll check the manifacturer websites or something

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a great motherboard but to find what you're looking for, always look on the manufacturer website. Newegg wasn't wrong either, it does have a USB Type-C, they just don't specify whether it was on the rear or front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeltaGemini said:

I would prefer 3.1 Gen 2 :)

What are you trying to use gen 2 for?

Something that runs faster than 5Gbits/s?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, zFox said:

What are you trying to use gen 2 for?

Something that runs faster than 5Gbits/s?

Future proofing. It's not a requirement, but a nice to have. If I'm going to be spending money on a new PC, I want the latest I can afford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeltaGemini said:

Future proofing. It's not a requirement, but a nice to have. If I'm going to be spending money on a new PC, I want the latest I can afford.

Oh makes sense,
Future proofing is a great idea if you have the funds to do so ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gigabyte's x470 boards are pretty good imo, so yeah you could get that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to look for an "AM4 motherboard with a USB 3.1 G2 header". Type C is not definitively USB 3.0 or USB 3.1. However, most front panel Type C ports are G2 (10Gbps), so you will want to find a motherboard that has that header. But do check the case you are getting, as that may have the Type C header as a normal USB 3.0 header.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 3/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, DeltaGemini said:

Hello!

 

I really want to get front-side USB-C. I have a case picked out with a port, but my choice of the B450 Tomahawk motherboard doesn't have a USB-C header.

 

Are there any AM4 motherboards that have it? I can only find the X470 Strix, which is double the price. Otherwise, can I find a PCI-E card with a header that would provide functionality?

 

Thanks all!

Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shimon said:

Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2

You realise this thread is nearly 2 years old ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 1/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, lee32uk said:

You realise this thread is nearly 2 years old ?

And yet: i have the exact same question. AM4 Board with good layout for front USB 3.1 AND USB-C 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Killakebab said:

And yet: i have the exact same question. AM4 Board with good layout for front USB 3.1 AND USB-C 🙂

 

Feel like defining "good layout"?

 

Most B550 boards (above the extreme budget tier) have at least one header for type A and one header for type C now (exception: stuff like the Asus Strix B550-F and -A because why would you need actual features when you can be part of the rEpUbLiC oF gAmErS?)

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | RTX 3080 ti Founders Edition | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Middcore said:

Feel like defining "good layout"?

 

Most B550 boards (above the extreme budget tier) have at least one header for type A and one header for type C now (exception: stuff like the Asus Strix B550-F and -A because why would you need actual features when you can be part of the rEpUbLiC oF gAmErS?)

USB-C and USB 3.1 Header in the middle of the right side, it's easy to access and.. it's THERE. There are not a lot Boards that have both (the Steel Legend mATX version has two USB 3.1 Headers, so you need an adapter for C ) and i don't want to pay more than 200€ (absolut max.)

ASRock B550 Steel Legend - Good Layout  // why? I have a LianLi Lancool II Mesh and want to install 2 fans below the GPU and the current USB 3.1 header is pretty much squished and crooked (bottom right placement)

MSI MAG B550M MORTAR and ASUS ROG Strix B550-E are looking good as well, allthough the B550-E is a bit too expensive for my taste.

 

 

 

What i don't like about the Steel Legend is the x2 PCIe m.2 in the second slot (correct me if i'm wrong). Is it otherwise a solid choice for a 5800X build?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

And i might add that i'm planning to install a 360 AiO in the front, the 3 front fans will be placed in the top and back to illuminate the case (most-likely white only), so 5 fans plus tripple radiator.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×