Question on case fans

martward

Hi all,

I am probably swapping my Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 for a Meshify C (I want a slightly smaller case, I want a neater case and hopefully a cooler case). Currently I have 2 Arctic P12 PWM PST fans in the front which I am planning to take to the new case. I also have a Corsair Hydro H75 with a push/pull configuration as exhaust. The Meshify C comes with two 120mm fans.

Currently my plan is to buy a third Arctic P12 so I can have three P12s in the front as intake, and the two included case fans on top as exhaust plus the radiator in the back as exhaust.

My question is, would it be worth it to purchase two 140mm fans (Arctic P14s? Be Quiet Pure Wings 2?) as intake, move the two P12s to the top and take out the included fans?

So basically:

2x 140mm in front (Arctic P14 or BQ Silent Wings 2)

or

3x 120mm in front (Arctic P12)

or

2x 120mm in front (Arctic P12)

Thanks

Edit:

Should mention, cooling the GPU is the main concern

Edited by martward

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

14 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Whatever gives you the highest combined CFM at the loudest you're willing to tolerate between the configurations should get you the most colder air inside. As far as maximizing GPU cooling, the more breathing room the card has, the better.

3x120mm = 3 x 56.3 = 168.9

2x140mm = 2 x 72.8 = 145.6

This would be both at max RPM and according to arctic that means 0.3 sone (Whatever that converts to in db) so I guess 3x120mm would be best?

(EDIT: Calculations based on P12 and P14)

Also the meshify c might have a bit less breathing room than my current case, but those fans are pretty far from the GPU right now, having them closer plus having less volume of air so you can refresh all the air in the case should lead to lower temps I figured (as long as you have enough fans to actually move the air of course). 

Edited by martward

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

6 minutes ago, martward said:

3x120mm = 3 x 56.3 = 168.9

2x140mm = 2 x 72.8 = 145.6

This would be both at max RPM and according to arctic that means 0.3 sone (Whatever that converts to in db) so I guess 3x120mm would be best?

Also the meshify c might have a bit less breathing room than my current case, but those fans are pretty far from the GPU right now, having them closer plus having less volume of air so you can refresh all the air in the case should lead to lower temps I figured (as long as you have enough fans to actually move the air of course). 

The 3 fan configuration should be better even at lower RPMs. The relationship between CFM and RPM is linear. That is if you want to double your CFM, you double the RPM. Likewise if you want to halve the CFM, you halve the RPM.