MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon ARGB - Help Please!

Hi all!

So sorry if this has already been discussed but after literal hours pouring over the web for an answer today, I've resigned to asking for myself.

I recently purchased MSI's X399 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard as I got it as a steal (almost AUD$150 off msrp), and the build went off practically without a hitch. That being said, it has been a good few years since I did a build of my own and some things are new to me; argb, m.2 sockets, threadripper installation, just to name a few. It wasn't until I was finishing off the build that I stumbled into this problem.

The JRAINBOW1 header on this board has 4 pins; C1|D1|+5V|GND. I have found it nigh impossible to find this header on any other board - including any of MSI's own boards - and by extension, an adapter that would convert this header to the more standard layout; +5V|D|--|GND. Am I missing something here? Is this header meant only for very particular LED strips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Mitch

Bump out of desperation! ?

(sorry, I checked the community standards and there was no mention that I could see that this wasn't allowed, delete if it isn't!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, I know I'm reviving a 3-4 month old thread, but it covers my question exactly... so why create a new one?

The question is not about 5v vs 12v.  The question is about 5v 4-pin (C1|D1|+5v|GND) vs 5v 3-pin (+5v|D|--|GND), and, more specifically, whether there is some way of converting from the 4-pin (clock + data) to 3-pin (data only).

I am in the exact same boat as the OP.  I purchased an MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon, with the expectation that there would be compatibility between the RGB capabilities of the motherboard and Thermaltake's Riing Plus RGB fans + their TT Sync controller.  Nope! ?

I have been through quite a few of the manuals for MSI's more recent motherboards and, so far, I have found that exactly 2 of them that have this 4-pin header instead of the 'normal' 3-pin header (and no JCORSAIR header) - X399 SLI Plus, X399 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Everywhere there is a clear implication that MSI motherboards with Mystic Light are compatible with, at least, Corsair and Thermaltake LED fans... but it ain't so!

So...  Is there some kind of conversion that can be applied to the 'C1'+'D1' signals to render a usable 'D' signal?  Like the OP I can find nothing on this topic, whatsoever, and I am not optimistic about getting help from MSI.

Thanks,

- s.west

p.s.  I'm not quite sure why the title of the thread says ARGB, but if it was intended to signify Analog RGB, then it is incorrect.  The 3pin and 4pin 5v RGB are Digital.

Correction of my incorrect correction ?

Still learning here:  ARGB is for Addressable RGB, not Analog.  Sorry if I added to anyone's confusion.

- s.west

Ok, so, how about the DEEPCOOL RGB Convertor, 5V ADD-RGB to 12V RGB Transfer Hub?

This would appear to allow me to use the 4-pin 12v JRGB header on the mobo to integrate control of all the LEDs (as opposed to separating out control of the Thermaltake fans via their USB-based controller - i.e. NOT the TT Sync).  Is that correct?

I've ordered one, and it will be here on Sunday, but I would like to know if anyone else knows about, or has tried, this product for that purpose?

Thanks,

- s.west

• 10 months later...

I have the X399 SLI Plus motherboard from MSI would the unique 5V RGB header. I'm too perplexed why MSI put this odd choice for 5V RGB header on this board and not provide any accessory for it. 

I just ordered the new MAG CoreLiquid 360R AIOs and you would think MSI would include something to convert to us non-conventional 4-pin 5V RGB owners to work with the industry standard 3-pin but nope.