CL Technician's theory for why my internet doesn't work

sorasmemories
I was hoping someone who is more knowledgeable than me could tell me if this theory is sensible or a load of crap.

I live in a rural area and CenturyLink's ADSL is all we can get. We get a 2MB download speed. Sharing that between four people is really difficult. Sharing that between two people isn't.

So, I added a secondary connection to the house back in late August.

That second connection has NEVER worked properly. It is the same speed as the other connection; but, basically, it randomly drops and I (almost always) have to reboot the modem to get it to come back. I wouldn't complain if it did this a couple times a week; but, it does it at least once a day, sometimes every hour, sometimes every 15 minutes. I can go hours with it unusable because of the drops.

When I got the secondary added, the techs must have messed up the first connection, cause it started doing the same thing after the second was added... and this was a problem I never had before.

I was able to get a tech to fix the first connection about a month after the secondary got added. However, dozens of techs later, the secondary is still not fixed. So, I've had this connection for six months and they still haven't fixed it.

I tried a different modem, since a tech suggested that maybe it was dropping credentials. But, the other modem does the exact same thing.

The most recent tech had these two theories...

1) He thinks it's possible the two connections are interfering with each other, which causes the drops. Back when both connections were dropping, they never dropped at the same time. It was completely random. However, like I said, the first connection got fixed and hasn't had the drop issues in months.

2) He said something about how, when a new account is created, a computer generates the account and does all the programming for it. His theory is that the computer messed up the configuration for my account. According to this tech, he has seen this issue a hundred times and no amount of human interaction will fix it. He recommended I cancel the account, wait a week, and then order a new account, and reuse all the same equipment and setup.

I'm concerned about that because it means I'll have to repay setup fees and there's a chance it won't actually fix the problem. Plus, I'm worried they'll mess up the other connection... again... He said there isn't a way for them to do a clean flush without me full out canceling the account.

So, I was hoping someone more educated in networking could tell me if his theory sounds like something I should actually consider attempting, or if he is making an excuse for CenturyLink's inability to fix this.

Thanks in advance

Frequent drops can be caused by a number of different things, and with all the modulating going on with ADSL and the distances it has to cover there is a ton of variables. are you able to see the disconnects on the modem? or do devices stop working, but all the lights stay the same?

do you have any devices with an Ethernet connection or are you all wireless?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

5 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

Frequent drops can be caused by a number of different things, and with all the modulating going on with ADSL and the distances it has to cover there is a ton of variables. are you able to see the disconnects on the modem? or do devices stop working, but all the lights stay the same?

do you have any devices with an Ethernet connection or are you all wireless?

Thank you for your fast reply. Both plugged in and wireless are lost. The internet light goes red; but, I see the drop before the modem light changes since I always have a cmd ping open to google.com

When you added the second connection, did you setup an entirely new dry loop on a 2nd phone line? Or are you splitting the existing phone line?

Your line might simply be too far away from the Demarc (the "node") to handle a 2nd 2Mbps connection.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, sorasmemories said:
1) He thinks it's possible the two connections are interfering with each other, which causes the drops. Back when both connections were dropping, they never dropped at the same time. It was completely random. However, like I said, the first connection got fixed and hasn't had the drop issues in months.

Yes they can interfere with each other and could still be the case. You dont mention any physical work done so I cant speak further into it. 

4 hours ago, sorasmemories said:

2) He said something about how, when a new account is created, a computer generates the account and does all the programming for it. His theory is that the computer messed up the configuration for my account. According to this tech, he has seen this issue a hundred times and no amount of human interaction will fix it. He recommended I cancel the account, wait a week, and then order a new account, and reuse all the same equipment and setup.

So when there are two accounts at a specific site/address things get all fucked up. It has to do with PPPoE and what info falls under what account. 

So originally when you mentioned every hour or so I thought immediately, DHCP. If you are running IPoE then this isnt an account related issue but if you are running PPPoE it most definitely is. Again, if the accounts are fucked up because when it was created the wrong info was put in the wrong account then everytime the modem goes to renew its lease with authentication it fails. 

Call your ISP and give them the detail. 2 connections, same address, same account name. Tell them its dropping on the hour and most likely the modem working has the CORRECT or only PPPoE info while the other does not. 

-Network engineer in charge of DSL. 

On 3/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, sorasmemories said:
I was hoping someone who is more knowledgeable than me could tell me if this theory is sensible or a load of crap.

I live in a rural area and CenturyLink's ADSL is all we can get. We get a 2MB download speed. Sharing that between four people is really difficult. Sharing that between two people isn't.

So, I added a secondary connection to the house back in late August.

That second connection has NEVER worked properly. It is the same speed as the other connection; but, basically, it randomly drops and I (almost always) have to reboot the modem to get it to come back. I wouldn't complain if it did this a couple times a week; but, it does it at least once a day, sometimes every hour, sometimes every 15 minutes. I can go hours with it unusable because of the drops.

When I got the secondary added, the techs must have messed up the first connection, cause it started doing the same thing after the second was added... and this was a problem I never had before.

I was able to get a tech to fix the first connection about a month after the secondary got added. However, dozens of techs later, the secondary is still not fixed. So, I've had this connection for six months and they still haven't fixed it.

I tried a different modem, since a tech suggested that maybe it was dropping credentials. But, the other modem does the exact same thing.

The most recent tech had these two theories...

I'm concerned about that because it means I'll have to repay setup fees and there's a chance it won't actually fix the problem. Plus, I'm worried they'll mess up the other connection... again... He said there isn't a way for them to do a clean flush without me full out canceling the account.

So, I was hoping someone more educated in networking could tell me if his theory sounds like something I should actually consider attempting, or if he is making an excuse for CenturyLink's inability to fix this.

Thanks in advance

I would start with getting the output from each of the modem/routers you have been provided and getting the ADSL line stats.

Without the line stats, you are trying to debug something that will be like stabbing in the dark.  Can you get me the stats for each of the lines, from there myself and others will be able to assist.

The line stats will look something like this;
router line stats showing sync speed, attenuation and SNR Margin

Here are some tips that I would recommend also;

• Make sure you are using NTE filtered face plates for the master socket and ideally not DSL filters
  • If you are not using filtered face plates, EVERY device on the phone system requires an DSL filter
  • DSL filters..., if you have shit ones you are going to have a bad time
  • Review line stats with all extensions, phones and any other devices removed
  • If you have an alarm system in the house which has a connection to the phone system, get it filtered

ADSL is a solid technology, outside of problems such as REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise) you should have a solid connection if the following conditions are met;

Line attenuation is in specification for line length from exchange

Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) is correct for the line length

Modem output power is within spec

DLM (dynamic line management) is functioning correctly.  Unfortunately something your ISP can only confirm

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

as someone who works with dsl line quality is key. To far away, to many taps, inside line issues. corrosion on line. This list can go on.