1st PC build, powers on but no display

Gi233k

So I decided to build my first gaming PC. Took some tax money, did a good amount of research, bought parts, and slapped that bad boy together. Now I have power to all the fans, the AIO cooler, mobo lights up, hard drive spins, but I can't get any video output. Here's the equipment I'm working with:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

MB: Asus Prime B450 Plus

RAM: 16gb GSkill Aegis (2x8) DDR4-3000

Boot Drive: Corsair 120GB m.2

Storage: Western Digital 3.5" 2TB

AIO Cooler: Corsair h100i pro

PSU: Rosewill Capstone 650M 80+ Gold

Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24"

I'm currently waiting on my GPU, and will test the system again once that comes in.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Took out the mb battery for 15 seconds

Took out and reseated the RAM, tried to boot without the RAM, tried one stick of RAM in different dimm slots

Took everything apart and rebuilt it

Reseated the CPU, reapplied thermal paste

Switched between 3 different HDMI cables

Verified monitor is working

Removed the mb and tried to boot using just the mb, psu, and cpu connected

Called ASUS (mostly a waste of time)

Called Gskill (dude was cool, but still a waste of time)

I'm kinda at my wits end here. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know. I'd really hate for this to have been a giant waste of money :(

1 minute ago, Gi233k said:

So I decided to build my first gaming PC. Took some tax money, did a good amount of research, bought parts, and slapped that bad boy together. Now I have power to all the fans, the AIO cooler, mobo lights up, hard drive spins, but I can't get any video output. Here's the equipment I'm working with:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

MB: Asus Prime B450 Plus

RAM: 16gb GSkill Aegis (2x8) DDR4-3000

Boot Drive: Corsair 120GB m.2

Storage: Western Digital 3.5" 2TB

AIO Cooler: Corsair h100i pro

PSU: Rosewill Capstone 650M 80+ Gold

Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24"

I'm currently waiting on my GPU, and will test the system again once that comes in.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Took out the mb battery for 15 seconds

Took out and reseated the RAM, tried to boot without the RAM, tried one stick of RAM in different dimm slots

Took everything apart and rebuilt it

Reseated the CPU, reapplied thermal paste

Switched between 3 different HDMI cables

Verified monitor is working

Removed the mb and tried to boot using just the mb, psu, and cpu connected

Called ASUS (mostly a waste of time)

Called Gskill (dude was cool, but still a waste of time)

I'm kinda at my wits end here. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know. I'd really hate for this to have been a giant waste of money :(

You wont get any video output from your system till you pop your gpu in. the processor you picked for your build dose not support the onboard graphics that your board offers. Play the waiting game and then retest.

OK, so the 2600x does not support onboard graphics at all? That's good to know. At least I can stop panicking that I broke something :)

ASUS is also saying that I need a bios update, but I'm not 100% sure on that either.

4 minutes ago, Gi233k said:

ASUS is also saying that I need a bios update, but I'm not 100% sure on that either.

Probably, but I don't think you can update your bios without a working monitor. I believe only the 2400g and the 2200g have graphics support, the 2600x dose not.

Just now, slashqpbyte said:

Probably, but I don't think you can update your bios without a working monitor. I believe only the 2400g and the 2200g have graphics support, the 2600x dose not.

yeah, they're saying I can get a bios kit from AMD. Not sure what the turnaround is like on that. May be better to return the mobo and get a different one

Just now, Gi233k said:

yeah, they're saying I can get a bios kit from AMD. Not sure what the turnaround is like on that. May be better to return the mobo and get a different one

Just wait till your graphics card gets there.

Just wait till your graphics card gets there.

that's the plan right now, but the guy from ASUS seems pretty convinced that it will not work once I get the GPU. They're saying I will need the bios update for sure. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Gi233k said:

that's the plan right now, but the guy from ASUS seems pretty convinced that it will not work once I get the GPU. They're saying I will need the bios update for sure. Thoughts?

I'm like 87% sure your cpu and mobo are fine. I'm not sure if the Asus tech guy completely understood what you were asking. Could have just been a communication thing.

I'm like 87% sure your cpu and mobo are fine. I'm not sure if the Asus tech guy completely understood what you were asking. Could have just been a communication thing.

He's under the assumption that the mobo shipped with an earlier BIOS version than is compatible with the 2600X. I'm requesting a boot kit from AMD regardless, that way if it takes a long time to get here I'll have done it earlier rather than later. If I don't need it, I'll just send it back :)

Just now, Gi233k said:

He's under the assumption that the mobo shipped with an earlier BIOS version than is compatible with the 2600X. I'm requesting a boot kit from AMD regardless, that way if it takes a long time to get here I'll have done it earlier rather than later. If I don't need it, I'll just send it back :)

Sounds like a plan, best of luck.

Sounds like a plan, best of luck.

I really appreciate the help, you've been awesome