Isolated a/c refrigerated computer

Hello everyone!

New on the forum but big Linus follower :)

I have a crazy idea in my mind, in a few months I'm going to change my build, I'll keep the hard drives and stuff but need to upgrade the big ones (motherboard, cpu and mem). I was thinking in cooling everything with water, but... I don't know why the water going through my cpu is something I don't like, also there are other parts (like vrams and stuff)that makes you have to have air anyways.

I have two projects in my mind. One of them is just search for a case with front intake/rear exaust, and put a radiator with chill water pushing air in.

The other one is search for a sealed case, put a radiator with chill water inside and some fans to move the air.

Is there anyone who already tried this?

Ideas or suggestions are always appreciated!

2 minutes ago, xamizin said:

Hello everyone!

I have a crazy idea in my mind, in a few months I'm going to change my build, I'll keep the hard drives and stuff but need to upgrade the big ones (motherboard, cpu and mem). I was thinking in cooling everything with water, but... I don't know why the water going through my cpu is something I don't like, also there are other parts (like vrams and stuff)that makes you have to have air anyways.

I have two projects in my mind. One of them is just search for a case with front intake/rear exaust, and put a radiator with chill water pushing air in.

The other one is search for a sealed case, put a radiator with chill water inside and some fans to move the air.

You could probably get similar levels of cooling by opening your side panel and pointing a box fan into your case. Probably same noise levels too.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

You could probably get similar levels of cooling by opening your side panel and pointing a box fan into your case. Probably same noise levels too.

Then all of this is just candyland in my head but with not real benefits? While I'm quite experienced in computer stuff I'm totally a newby in water refrigeration.

Also I'm planning on refrigerate the water running in the loop.

1 minute ago, xamizin said:

Hello everyone!

I understand what your going for but honestly its not worth your time and effort...  a water cooling loop. aio cooler, or good air cooler + fans will cool your PC more than you need  there is a reason these are the options we have for PC cooling because if there was something better or more effective it would already have been done / on the market...  I have a background in thermodynamics and power engineering and if you want the coolest PC go for a water cooling loop with multiple radiators and keep the ambient temperature in your room at 18-21c.   

I would be very careful putting any sort of "air conditioning"  unit in front of  and DEFIANTLY NOT in your case as this could create alot of moist air being introduced around / in your PC which would cause more damage over time.  You would have to use an enclosed air delivery system that would include "Air Dryers" etc to ensure there is no moisture in the air which would WELL OUTWAY the cost and effectiveness of just using the above methods.

The absolute best option you can do is to purchase a window or room air conditioner (only if your room/house is abnormally hot if not dont bother ) and keep your ambient room temperature around 18-21c then use a water cooling loop for your GPU / CPU.

8 minutes ago, xamizin said:

Then all of this is just candyland in my head but with not real benefits? While I'm quite experienced in computer stuff I'm totally a newby in water refrigeration.

Also I'm planning on refrigerate the water running in the loop.

You do not want to "refrigerate" anything for your PC it will create a ton of moisture as the temperature will be below the ambient temperature in the room.

4 hours ago, Tz000 said:

You do not want to "refrigerate" anything for your PC it will create a ton of moisture as the temperature will be below the ambient temperature in the room.

i.e. Sub-ambient = condensation.

Got it, anything below ambient temperature is going to get wet, and wet+computer is equal a dead body.

I should knew this, I will search another solution.

Thanks everyone!

Theres no 'simple' way of going into subambient cooling. Doing so requires condnesation proctection and/or condensation prevention, without either your PC will inevitably fail.

generaly speaking, only extreme cooling enthusiasts and/or those with alot of spare cash get into that sort of thing as a 'proper' build requires a good deal of time and money, and a 'quick' ghetto DIY build can result in lost hardware ..thus more money.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |