Steam is using Akamaihd?

Hello I got redirected when using the steam when I pressed the read more button on a game news feed and it sent me to a site that sent me to steamcommunity but through Akamaihd. What is Akamaihd?

3 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

Hello I got redirected when using the steam when I pressed the read more button on a game news feed and it sent me to a site that sent me to steamcommunity but through Akamaihd. What is Akamaihd?

It's a CDN.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

It's a CDN.

Basically just a site they use to store all the pictures and stuff, right?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, mxk. said:

Basically just a site they use to store all the pictures and stuff, right?

Well, kind of, yes. It's a completely benign thing and it just helps spread the load of all the downloads and other Steam-related stuff -- without it, Steam's servers would have to serve everything directly and no one would be a happy camper.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, kind of, yes. It's a completely benign thing and it just helps spread the load of all the downloads and other Steam-related stuff -- without it, Steam's servers would have to serve everything directly and no one would be a happy camper.

this.

or in technical terms: a CDN or "content delivery network" is a collection of (worldwide) servers set up with one very specific purpose: delivering content to the end user as fast as possible.

some companies have their own (google's datacenters for example essentially are a CDN for their own stuff) but others decide it's better to rely on partnering with a CDN company to serve their customers. my guess on why valve does this is the rather extreme spike in usage around the steam sales would cripple an infrastructure that's unable to scale, and by partnering to a CDN they could essentially just agree to lease more bandwidth during more popular times.

Because I've read that there was a Akamaihd spyware.