Alternative to adding RAM?

Hi,

I've recently started using SolidWorks and already at the 2D-sketch stage my Galaxy Book 12 runs out of memory (4GB).

There's no way to add RAM to this PC (it's soldered), and I wonder if there's anything I can do to improve the situation, like adding an SD card that's dedicated to a page file or maybe dedicate some of the SSD to this duty...

Please let me know if there's anything to be done. Thanks.

https://downloadmoreram.com/ just download some more.

But seriously, you could try upping the page file size within Windows but it's so slow compared to actual system RAM I doubt you'll notice a difference. Probably just upgrade to a newer machine if you need to do something more intensive.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

3 minutes ago, YonathanZ said:

like adding an SD card that's dedicated to a page file

Not possible, Windows doesn't allow you to put a pagefile on removable media. Besides, it'd be HORRENDOUSLY slow anyways.

4 minutes ago, YonathanZ said:

maybe dedicate some of the SSD to this duty

If you haven't disabled automatic pagefile in Windows's settings, then you already have this.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, YonathanZ said:

I've recently started using SolidWorks and already at the 2D-sketch stage my Galaxy Book 12 runs out of memory (4GB).

Use lighter sketches / do less in SolidWorks or use a Laptop that's better designed for that type of activity, as it appears the Galaxy Book 12 isn't what we'd call a "powerhouse".  You're relatively stuck as RAM is the only real substitute for RAM and that platform doesn't sound real easy to upgrade.  Ultrabook / work laptop (or if non-portable is an option, a Desktop workstation) would be more ideal.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Not possible, Windows doesn't allow you to put a pagefile on removable media. Besides, it'd be HORRENDOUSLY slow anyways.

My friend got it to work on a hp laptop with a 4gb sd card. I don't think it did a lot because it's a crap sd card, and it's well, and sd card but it think it worked for him.

1 hour ago, YonathanZ said:

Hi,

There's no way to add RAM to this PC (it's soldered), and I wonder if there's anything I can do to improve the situation, like adding an SD card that's dedicated to a page file or maybe dedicate some of the SSD to this duty...

You can add pagefile and set it to your C drive. It might help with it but it might not. With modded minecraft you pretty much have to add another 16gb of pagefile if you have 16gb of ram to be able to play big mod packs. Other than pagefile there's not much you can do if the memory is soldered. Close stuff in the background that uses up ram.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

5 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

My friend got it to work on a hp laptop with a 4gb sd card. I don't think it did a lot because it's a crap sd card, and it's well, and sd card but it think it worked for him.

If you're talking about ReadyBoost: it's not the same thing. ReadyBoost does work on removable media, but it has nothing to do with a pagefile -- ReadyBoost exists only to speed up application start-up, it does absolutely, entirely NOTHING to speed up an application that is already running, and it also is entirely useless if your system already has an SSD.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thank you all. Looks like my only option is to optimize ram usage by not running unnecessary apps, etc.