Need advise on new PSU

Hi guys!

So i’m about to buy a new PSU… Rigth now i have an OCZ ZT Series 750W and when my system is idling it is fairly loud (actually the loudest part in my system).

I have two things I want my new PSU to be and the first thing is obviously silent. The second thing is I want it to be efficient and stable.

I am willing to save up a bit and buy a higher end model, so please tell me what PSU you would advise to buy and why.

My build right now:

AMD FX 8350 @4.0GHz
(and a Corsair H100i to keep it cool and quiet – it’s in silent mode)
7870 GHz OC edition (Sapphire)
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
An OCZ Vertex 4 and a WD Black HDD

I am planning to upgrade my graphic card to a R9 series down the road…

Thank you in advance!  :D

Corsair AX760 Platinum

If you want real high end.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Do you plan to sli/cf or upgrade the graphics card anytime soon?

Where are you shopping?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

anything seasonic built is great. you can buy straight from seasonic branded, or get a seasonic built corsair ax760 if you want a cleaner label on the side.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Corsairs RM series is 80 gold super quiet and effective, placed an order for one last night for my own rig
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-80PLUS-Gold-Certified-Supply/dp/B00EB7UITQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390086005&sr=8-2&keywords=corsair+rm750

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Do you plan to sli/cf or upgrade the graphics card anytime soon?

Where are you shopping?

I do not. I am not a huge fan of multiple GPU setups.

I live in Denmark, so I am going to buy from an online store (we do not have the greatest opportunities as of physical hardware stores :( )

I do not. I am not a huge fan of multiple GPU setups.

I live in Denmark, so I am going to buy from an online store (we do not have the greatest opportunities as of physical hardware stores :( )

Can you post a link to the store?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Corsair AX760 Platinum

If you want real high end.

I have actually been thinking about that and the RM series…

(og et lille national halløj herfra ;) )

Here’s there PSU page: http://www.dustinhome.dk/page/2953/stromforsyning/ (in danish though)

Google translate and pictures do wonders.

How's this look? http://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010747742/be-quiet-straight-power-e9-480w-modular/

Google translate and pictures do wonders.

How's this look? http://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010747742/be-quiet-straight-power-e9-480w-modular/

It looks pretty nice actually.. One thing though, I know it is ridiculous and all, because I do not have a lot of power hungry hardware, but I like to have more headroom. And also I would imagine that if I throw 300 watts at a 500 watt PSU it would produce more heat/noise, than a, as an example 700-800 watt PSU. Also I’ve heard Japanese capacitors is a thing, but honestly I am not so into PSU’s yet, and i can't tell if that one has it  :)

It looks pretty nice actually.. One thing though, I know it is ridiculous and all, because I do not have a lot of power hungry hardware, but I like to have more headroom. And also I would imagine that if I throw 300 watts at a 500 watt PSU it would produce more heat/noise, than a, as an example 700-800 watt PSU. Also I’ve heard Japanese capacitors is a thing, but honestly I am not so into PSU’s yet, and i can't tell if that one has it  :)

You could run your system off of a cx430. the E9 CM 480 is gold rated and is multiple gpu ready. Not that you would run 2 7870's off of it but It's plenty for your system with ample headroom.

Taiwanese firm CapXon makes the capacitors which aren't premium caps from Japan but are still decent and shouldn't cause any problems.

Do yourself and unplug the power plug from your power supply. Now put it in the fireplace and burn it because OCZ PSUs are horrible.

Get a SeaSonic G-Series 650W power supply. Exceptional build quality.

You could run your system off of a cx430. the E9 CM 480 is gold rated and is multiple gpu ready. Not that you would run 2 7870's off of it but It's plenty for your system with ample headroom.

Taiwanese firm CapXon makes the capacitors which aren't premium caps from Japan but are still decent and shouldn't cause any problems.

Ok that's pretty nice. It is a lot cheaper that i thougth i would have to spend so that's awesome. Thank you for helping me out. One last question though - what about the silence perspective? 

Ok that's pretty nice. It is a lot cheaper that i thougth i would have to spend so that's awesome. Thank you for helping me out. One last question though - what about the silence perspective? 

Ahem.

It's a 'Be Quiet' psu. Take a guess. :ph34r:

Do yourself and unplug the power plug from your power supply. Now put it in the fireplace and burn it because OCZ PSUs are horrible.

I would agree that i should had done some more research on my PSU, but i need to mention that if wasn't for the loud fan (not unbearable loud but too much for me though), I would stick with it. It does have some neat features and is priced quite well (at least here in Denmark).

And also I would imagine that if I throw 300 watts at a 500 watt PSU it would produce more heat/noise, than a, as an example 700-800 watt PSU.

Well, a higher wattage unit may have a fan of higher RPM to effectively cool a 700-800w unit, which can make it louder. Of course, a lot of this also have to do with the fan type and profile as well. Plus the difference amount of energy wasted as heat during the AC-DC conversion between loads would be marginal. If you are running about 92% efficient at 60% load on the 500w Gold PSU, the PSU is wasting about 26w of heat, while a 800w would be running at 37.5% load, where it may be around 90-91% efficient and wasting ~35w into heat.

If your primary concern is noise, it would be a better investment in looking for something that offer you feature a quiet operation like many BeQuiet units, rather than spending money on a higher wattage unit - unless of course, you need the power.

You can get a fanless PSU but they ain't that cheap. You only need around 500 watts on your current specs. No need to get a 750w or even a 650w for that matter.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/500+-+600+Watts/72313/Seasonic+P-520FL%2C+520+Watt%2C+80PLUS+Platinum.article

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Ahem.

It's a 'Be Quiet' psu. Take a guess. :ph34r:

-.- I did figure that out, but just because the sticker/the brand says it, doesn't necessarily mean it is quiet. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it a lot!  :)

anything seasonic built is great. you can buy straight from seasonic branded, or get a seasonic built corsair ax760 if you want a cleaner label on the side.

I can't help but agree with everyone's suggestions especially the two guys above. If you wanted to save some money you can get a Seasonic G-Series 550W which is like 85$ in Canada. In my opinion the best power supply under 100$ 80+ Gold and really quiet under load. I had used it for coin mining for a year and it was quite quiet.

I can't help but agree with everyone's suggestions especially the two guys above. If you wanted to save some money you can get a Seasonic G-Series 550W which is like 85$ in Canada. In my opinion the best power supply under 100$ 80+ Gold and really quiet under load. I had used it for coin mining for a year and it was quite quiet.

I'll be taking a look on that too then. Thank you!  :)

Well, a higher wattage unit may have a fan of higher RPM to effectively cool a 700-800w unit, which can make it louder. Of course, a lot of this also have to do with the fan type and profile as well. Plus the difference amount of energy wasted as heat during the AC-DC conversion between loads would be marginal. If you are running about 92% efficient at 60% load on the 500w Gold PSU, the PSU is wasting about 26w of heat, while a 800w would be running at 37.5% load, where it may be around 90-91% efficient and wasting ~35w into heat.

If your primary concern is noise, it would be a better investment in looking for something that offer you feature a quiet operation like many BeQuiet units, rather than spending money on a higher wattage unit - unless of course, you need the power.

Wow, that is actually pretty obvious now that you've explained it like that. Thank you a lot!  :) 

So would a PSU around 500W be enough if I swapped my 7870 out and replaced it with a R9 series or gtx 770/780? As mentioned I am not planning to run multiple GPUs at all.