How to run two "separate" setups off the same system, but with different keyboard and mouse?

cpugeek21

I'm sorry if this doesn't seem like the best place to put it, but I felt this category would be the most relevant.

I'm looking to use my computer for both entertainment and productivity, but I get distracted easily, hence trying to have two different "systems" with two different keyboard and mouse running off the same tower.

I foresee some complications though. For starters, if the system is connected to both monitors, both will turn on at the same time. Hence, what I'm looking for is something like a switch (i'm guessing something like a peripheral + display output switch?)

At this point, I have to point out that I run a dual monitor setup for gaming, and maybe going to do so on the productivity. So, every time I press on the switch, monitor A1 and A2 switches on, and keyboard A and mouse A lights up, while monitor B1 and B2 remains turned off. And when I press another button on the switch, monitor B1 and B2 turns on, keyboard turns on, and monitor A1, A2 and keyboard for A1, A2 turns off.

Sounds a little confusing, but I'm thinking I would need a KVM, but I don't know what KVM to look out for. It seems like what I'm looking to do could be quite expensive. From what I checked, the switch could go up to $1k? Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I think the ideal way to do this is to make the system run a hypervisor with two different instances of an OS running. But this is probably not the best way to go about doing this since it could get expensive.

Otherwise, you could just take advantage of virtual desktops in Windows 10. Or switch between accounts to one that's restricted or something when you want to be in that "go mode"

I had the same kinda "distracted" problem

I solved it by partitioning off 30GB for Linux with nothing on it but basic programs

Let me study with ease

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I think the ideal way to do this is to make the system run a hypervisor with two different instances of an OS running. But this is probably not the best way to go about doing this since it could get expensive.

Otherwise, you could just take advantage of virtual desktops in Windows 10. Or switch between accounts to one that's restricted or something when you want to be in that "go mode"

Yes, that would work as well. However, I want something that can allow me to turn on and off selected monitors like a switch. There are really cheap ones but I'm not sure if the one I'm looking for would be expensive.

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I had the same kinda "distracted" problem

I solved it by partitioning off 30GB for Linux with nothing on it but basic programs

Let me study with ease

I agree this works too. But I want to work on a separate desk free of clutter. So the best way to achieve that would be my solution as outlined above.

4 minutes ago, cpugeek21 said:

Yes, that would work as well. However, I want something that can allow me to turn on and off selected monitors like a switch. There are really cheap ones but I'm not sure if the one I'm looking for would be expensive.

2 minutes ago, cpugeek21 said:

I agree this works too. But I want to work on a separate desk free of clutter. So the best way to achieve that would be my solution as outlined above.

Just have the computer output in mirrored mode so it shows the same thing on both monitors. The inputs won't fight each other as long as nobody else is touching the other side.

4 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Just have the computer output in mirrored mode so it shows the same thing on both monitors. The inputs won't fight each other as long as nobody else is touching the other side.

I see...that sounds good too. Thanks!