Run AIO pump passively?

_hANSI

Good Morning everyone!

I am currently planning to rework my PC a little bit, and would like to go down the custom loop route this time around. Question regarding AIOs and Custom Loops:

Is there a problem with running several pumps in series? I currently have an Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro AIO with a 240mm Rad for my Vega64. The block has an integrated pump. The rad is full copper so I was planning on replacing the ugly af tubing and reusing both the block and the rad in a new custom loop (all the threadings are G1/4“ so that shouldn't be too complicated).

Now, I am wondering about the integrated pump in the GPU block - would it be better to leave it disconnected and just run "passively" in the loop (it sounds rather annoying) or would that be too much resistance? On the other hand, having two active pumps, would there be any issues?

For reference, I am planning on getting a D5 pump/res combo, an additional 360mm rad and some accessories to make a single loop. (D5-240mm rad-GPU-CPU-360mm rad-D5)

8 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Either or should be fine. Its another Point of failure which is something i personally dont like, but overall you should be fine

It's another point of failure, but if you have 2 pumps and 1 dies, you'll still be fine. Even if the AiO pump probably isn't that powerful, it should still work for keeping everything cool during idle-ish workloads like getting a new D5.

For OP: I'd just run both pumps if you don't mind the noise. If you don't, the pump shouldn't really cause much if any resistance, but there's really no reason not to other than the noise

Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back when it's finished!

I think I'll try running the Alphacool pump at a low constant rpm, it really only gets annoyingly noisy at high rpm.