Win 10 - White Bar covering top portion of windows explorer

JamesW_77

Has anyone else come across this???? I am an IT Administrator for a company and i have one person (who happens to be the owner of one of the company) who has this issue and the microsoft help is as about as helpful as a chocolate fire guard. The link below takes you to the microsoft forum where several people have this issue and windows have done nothing about it. The quick fix is you change the main display to the second screen and it fixes it then you put it back and it worksfor a while until it fails again. I have done everything suggested and a few things not suggested e.g. new graphics card, non intel, new motherboard, new memory, new CPU (Basically built a second PC for him) but no luck.

Windows Forum Link

If anyone can help that would be great or if anyone can come up with another idea that would help?

Tried reinstalling an updated version of windows? And have your tried reinstalling the dedicated graphics driver? If that doesnt fix it try forcing another browser on your boss. (Atleast until its fixed)

Thanks for responding, its not a browser issue (he uses Google, Edge, IE) as this can happen when looking in files/folders on the PC/Network.

This was a fresh install with his profile (documents, pictures) copied back to the PC and did another fresh install on the new PC he got. Reinstalled the APP's and programs he uses and then after about a month this started happening again. The PC is fully up to date with drivers etc., dedicated graphics card driver, BIOS updated and he is using the latest windows 10 build. Out of around 400 devices this is the only one having this issue.

I think it is down to one of the programs causing a bug but i am not sure which one and not sure how to test it. I keep spending time on it to try and figure it out. I am doing it based on programs he has that no other users have but its a long process. Just thought i would reach out to see if anyone else has had this issue or could provide any tips.

Yes, The attached screenshot shows as grey but it goes between white and grey depending on what faults

DG-RS-ISSUE.jpg

the daft thing is when you click where you think the X is (top right corner) it closes programs / documents in the background as it has lost focus. You can minimise to the desktop with the show desktop button but as soon as you maximise it is still the same.

Nope, Used the Intel on board, Ge-Force GT710, AMD (cant remember which one) and still same issue. That is why I think its a program causing the bug rather than the graphics card. I have done the graphics cards as a fresh install of the windows PC and is OK until we add everything back that he uses and is required to run the business. 

And he did have 2 different sized monitors and we changed them to be the same size, same make, same resolution etc. and this still didn't fix it as per an email i had from someone saying this should fix it from another forum. We have put him back to his original setup as that is what he wants.

1 hour ago, JamesW_77 said:

Nope, Used the Intel on board, Ge-Force GT710, AMD (cant remember which one) and still same issue. That is why I think its a program causing the bug rather than the graphics card. I have done the graphics cards as a fresh install of the windows PC and is OK until we add everything back that he uses and is required to run the business. 

And he did have 2 different sized monitors and we changed them to be the same size, same make, same resolution etc. and this still didn't fix it as per an email i had from someone saying this should fix it from another forum. We have put him back to his original setup as that is what he wants.

Ok very good.

So now, I need to know if it a driver issue or not. When you clean installed Windows, did you have the issue out of the box? Or only after you installed drivers or software?

• 5 months later...

This is a very widely known issue with Windows 10 and people with dual screens. Its not related to any specific hardware, or driver version.

Please see this thread over at Microsoft:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/white-bar-covering-top-portion-of-windows-explorer/958e89c3-22ea-48d8-aeaf-bac25d11aa94?page=9

• 8 months later...

What ever happened with this?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000