Do i need to replace my psu?

DotoreN
Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
1 hour ago, DotoreN said:

I currently have a thermaltake toughpower XT 775w bronze plated that powered my rig for over 5years.

Yep, because its  a ~10 Year old unit.

I currently have a i7 4790k and gtx 1070 and havent had issues, but since this is such a dated psu, when should i replace it? Also cant find much on the internet about how good this one is

AS soon as you can afford it.

A good quality 550W PSU will be more than enough for your system.

I currently have a thermaltake toughpower XT 775w bronze plated that powered my rig for over 5years. I currently have a i7 4790k and gtx 1070 and havent had issues, but since this is such a dated psu, when should i replace it? Also cant find much on the internet about how good this one is

I had a Rosewill Capstone 750 Gold rated PSU since 2013 and it just crapped out on me this month. Was experiencing random shutdowns under load. That was the first suspect since I had just changed out literally every part on my system except the case and PSU, about 2 weeks before the problem started happening.

I ran to Fry's Electronics and bought a corsair semi-modular PSU as my old Rosewill was a standard cabled PSU.

Not sure what caused it to happen especially since the newer system I built consumed less power.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

13 minutes ago, DotoreN said:

when should i replace it?

when it starts failing or you notice issues with power draw, or you need something that consumes more power

1 minute ago, fluxdeity said:

Not sure what caused it to happen especially since the newer system I built consumed less power.

anything over time will get weaker, especially if something has heaps of electricity pumping through it in high and low loads with varying amounts of heat in a pc

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

15 minutes ago, DotoreN said:

I currently have a thermaltake toughpower XT 775w bronze plated that powered my rig for over 5years. I currently have a i7 4790k and gtx 1070 and havent had issues, but since this is such a dated psu, when should i replace it? Also cant find much on the internet about how good this one is

Considering it’s 775W and 80+ bronze you might wanna get something 80+ gold to save a little on your electricity bill.

I currently have a thermaltake toughpower XT 775w bronze plated that powered my rig for over 5years.

Yep, because its  a ~10 Year old unit.

I currently have a i7 4790k and gtx 1070 and havent had issues, but since this is such a dated psu, when should i replace it? Also cant find much on the internet about how good this one is

AS soon as you can afford it.

A good quality 550W PSU will be more than enough for your system.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I think i'll go for the Seasonic Focus Plus, should I go for the 650W or 750W?

I kinda want future proofing as i'm not going to buy any components yet, so most likely will need a psu that can handle a modern 2020 i7/videocard