Is there a big performance bump with different drives (and speed) on RAID 1

Hello,

I'm building my frist pc, I'll have a 500 GB nvme m.2 ssd as my primary drive and I already have two 3TB drives that I want to use in RAID 1 (so I won't lose my data if one of the two fails).

The drives are:
-Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM08
-Toshiba DT01ACA300

My question is: since the two drives have different read/write both sequential and more importantly 4k and different IOPS, would they perform at the speed of the slower drive (the Toshiba) hence making the Seagate speeds uselles.

I'm pretty sure write speed are going to be the slower of the two since it has to write data on both, but what about read? Doesn't it have to read from just one of the two drives?

Thanks and give me a suggestion on what I should do.

You're talking about raid 1 (it's good that you clarified). Yes, it will run at the speed of the slowest drive. But if they are both HDDs it won't be that drastic, unless your slower one is real bad.

It really depends on what you store there and who you are. I'd deal with the slowness if I cared about the data, but I use cloud storage for everything important. I set up my dad with raid one for his office because he actually has important stuff. And it's good

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, leyo96 said:

that I want to use in RAID 0 (so I won't lose my data if one of the two fails)

RAID1 is the one you're looking for. RAID0 is the one where the data is striped and if one drive dies, you lose everything on both of them.

2 minutes ago, leyo96 said:

My question is: since the two drives have different read/write both sequential and more importantly 4k and different IOPS, would they perform at the speed of the slower drive (the Toshiba) hence making the Seagate speeds uselles.

I'm pretty sure write speed are going to be the slower of the two since it has to write data on both, but what about read? Doesn't it have to read from just one of the two drives?

In general, yes, write-speeds will drop to that of the slowest drive. Read-speeds kind of depend on the implementation and whether it reads from both drives or only from one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

You're talking about raid 1 (it's good that you clarified). Yes, it will run at the speed of the slowest drive. But if they are both HDDs it won't be that drastic, unless your slower one is real bad.

It really depends on what you store there and who you are. I'd deal with the slowness if I cared about the data, but I use cloud storage for everything important. I set up my dad with raid one for his office because he actually has important stuff. And it's good

Yeah I thought 1 and wrote 0. Since the ssd it's going to be only 500GB on the hard drives there are going to be the games I don't play the most, my personal pictures and videos and footage of some editing projects I did and I will make. Then music and movies, these kind of stuff!

These are the two drives:

https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Toshiba-DT01ACA300-3TB-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-3TB-2016/2735vs3898

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

RAID1 is the one you're looking for. RAID0 is the one where the data is striped and if one drive dies, you lose everything on both of them.

In general, yes, write-speeds will drop to that of the slowest drive. Read-speeds kind of depend on the implementation and whether it reads from both drives or only from one.

Yeah I know, I meant RAID 1.

How can I know if it will read on both drives or just one?

2 minutes ago, leyo96 said:

Yeah I thought 1 and wrote 0. Since the ssd it's going to be only 500GB on the hard drives there are going to be the games I don't play the most, my personal pictures and videos and footage of some editing projects I did and I will make. Then music and movies, these kind of stuff!

These are the two drives:

https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Toshiba-DT01ACA300-3TB-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-3TB-2016/2735vs3898

I'd do it then. No sense paying for cloud storage and your SSD is the main drive anyhow, Have fun ;)

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke