Laptop for engineering/audio programs

Hi guys,

I wanted some help in purchasing a new laptop.

As of now, I mainly use my laptop for engineering programs such as Matlab, CAD software, or java applications and music programs such as adobe audition and FL studio.

I also want to get into machine learning which deals with large amounts of data.

Any recommendations for a laptop that will fit the job?

Looking in the ±1000$ range

Are you an engineer or an engineering student?

It matters quite a bit. From my perspective as a student and seeing my friends around me, you are better buying a thin and light optimized for writing and general use in class(I like the surface, go and pro), and use either a desktop or your University's computer lab when you need to the heavy GPU stuff. 

I'm saying this because I'm seeing my friends log around heavy ass gaming laptops all day to use basically as PDF viewers for the rare chance they actually need to do heavy lifting. 

Oh! Maybe get something with thunderbolt and a dock! So you can dock it in if you need to

But since you did ask for a recommendation:

Your price point would be something with a 1060 and i7. I found this one, because the price fit and I like Dell laptops. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L62CRNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1hGCCb6TB8SEA

Maybe wait for 1660ti laptops?

P.s. if you just need a laptop and not digital writing, sorry for wasting your time

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

57 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

Are you an engineer or an engineering student?

It matters quite a bit. From my perspective as a student and seeing my friends around me, you are better buying a thin and light optimized for writing and general use in class(I like the surface, go and pro), and use either a desktop or your University's computer lab when you need to the heavy GPU stuff. 

I'm saying this because I'm seeing my friends log around heavy ass gaming laptops all day to use basically as PDF viewers for the rare chance they actually need to do heavy lifting. 

Oh! Maybe get something with thunderbolt and a dock! So you can dock it in if you need to

But since you did ask for a recommendation:

Your price point would be something with a 1060 and i7. I found this one, because the price fit and I like Dell laptops. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L62CRNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1hGCCb6TB8SEA

Maybe wait for 1660ti laptops?

P.s. if you just need a laptop and not digital writing, sorry for wasting your time

That's an i5 and only has 8GB of RAM. If the OP can push a bit above $1000 theres  a ton of laptops between $1,050-1,200 with current gen i7s, 16GB of RAM, SSDs along with HDDs, and a decent GPU. I recommended looking for a gaming laptop since your running programs that are heavier and they usually come with pretty decent cooling solutions. First 4 laptops on this Amazon link are all pretty decent. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=gaming+laptop+16gb+ram+i7&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Agaming+laptop+16gb+ram+i7

7 hours ago, photoflux777 said:

Looking in the ±1000$ range

Where are you from? Need Quadro? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Thanks for the response guys.

I have taken @SwagMaestro advice since I am still currently a student on my last year it would be more cost efficient to just use campus computers for the rigorous stuff. I think this old tank can hold out one more year.

Only thing that will change my mind is probably a good sale going on for maybe a mac laptop. (mac's at school are amazing, and I think i can just run virtual machine for the window programs)