Best gaming headphone setup for $150

Gohardgrandpa

I’m currently using Astro a40’s with the mix amp pro, i know in terms of audio quality these things probably suck and I’ve got some cash to burn so why not upgrade my audio situation to something I’ll use for years and enjoy. 

I literally have no clue on what to buy or where to go with this so I need help. Main usage is gaming on my pc, if I need a amp or whatever I’m ok with that. I already have the mix amp pro sitting on my desk so I’ve got some room to play with. I mainly play shooters when the sound of footsteps helps tremendously. 

Id rather ask and get something good instead of wasting money on a new set of gaming headphones. Thank you in advance, I appreciate any and all help. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

17 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I’m currently using Astro a40’s with the mix amp pro, i know in terms of audio quality these things probably suck and I’ve got some cash to burn so why not upgrade my audio situation to something I’ll use for years and enjoy. 

I literally have no clue on what to buy or where to go with this so I need help. Main usage is gaming on my pc, if I need a amp or whatever I’m ok with that. I already have the mix amp pro sitting on my desk so I’ve got some room to play with. I mainly play shooters when the sound of footsteps helps tremendously. 

Id rather ask and get something good instead of wasting money on a new set of gaming headphones. Thank you in advance, I appreciate any and all help. 

Hey there, I'd honestly go check out the various reviews HardwareCanucks has put out this year relating to gaming headsets. They have done a couple of roundups that cover the big players in the market right now. That way you can see and hear mic qualities, headset construction...etc.

I personally use the Hyper X Cloud Flight Wireless. They are awesome for true stereo output (great for competitive multiplayer..i.e. CSGO), but the sound quality itself is so so. The included mic on that headset is garbage so if you go that route, I would look for an alternative for a mic.

I hope this helps!

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

Take a look at the Sennheiser PC37X's. Although I've never had experience with them I've heard a lot of great things about it. You should look at it your self though, just a suggestion. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset#overview

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

I’m trying to avoid gaming branded headphones. My buddy has the flight and the mic on it is horrible.

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

26 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I’m trying to avoid gaming branded headphones. My buddy has the flight and the mic on it is horrible.

My favorite has to be the Corsair Void Pro RGB wireless, and if the mic sucks on your flights, how about you just get an external mic. Like a snowball, or blue yeti.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

Does anyone else have input on this? 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

7 hours ago, FunkmastaFlex said:

Take a look at the Sennheiser PC37X's. Although I've never had experience with them I've heard a lot of great things about it. You should look at it your self though, just a suggestion. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset#overview

This is a very good suggestion.

Basically similar to HD558 + modmic but you dont have to deal with the cabling and all that

A very good starting point for everyone. If you might want to upgrade the headphone, grab HD 558 with modmic but otherwise pc37x is super solid

8 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

770 80 ohm so you wont need an amp. more bass and less sibilant than a 250 ohm. or a sennheiser hd 58x  great value and will improve with a nice amp but you can always get a new one. grab the dt 770 if you want a closed 58x for open

On 2/22/2019 at 2:45 PM, Gohardgrandpa said:

lol verbatim what I said. A basic rule of thumb is that the included mic on *most* wireless or wired headsets is going to be a bit crap. The modmic wireless is a good alternative add on for decent mic quality but it is pricey. If you are really worried about your mic quality you can get a standalone boom mic, but that is a lot of added cost.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, GabeThePCHelper said:

My favorite has to be the Corsair Void Pro RGB wireless, and if the mic sucks on your flights, how about you just get an external mic. Like a snowball, or blue yeti.

Interesting that you like the Void Pro headset. I had a pair and couldn't stand them. They were too heavy and always felt like they would fall off if I turned my head too quickly. I also found that the software was very buggy with muting/unmuting the mic mid game.