MY MSI LAPTOP WONT RUN ANY GAMES OVER 60FPS

Aorio

I have a MSI GL63 8RD. and for some reason my games wont go above 60hrtz. I need help regarding this as I am going to move to college in a few months and I wont be able to game on my PC. My laptop is well above average and should get me decent frames on low settings. I can bear with 60 frames on every game except Rainbow Six Siege. 60 Frames is basically aids and I cant play on it. I have tried every other guide and it is not fixed yet, Please Help.

Turn vsync off in-game and/or NVIDIA control panel.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

28 minutes ago, Aorio said:

I have a MSI GL63 8RD. and for some reason my games wont go above 60hrtz.

That would be because it has a 60Hz display.  60Hz laptop displays can't go over 60Hz.  Or does it have a 144Hz display?

30 minutes ago, Aorio said:

My laptop is well above average and should get me decent frames on low settings.

"Above average" means squat, because technically an i7-8550u with Intel UHD is "above average."  But you're right on the latter point.

Btw, I presume your laptop has an i7-8750H & GTX 1050 Ti?  That's what a quick Google search gives me.

35 minutes ago, Aorio said:

Please Help.

I would start with @Nocte's advice. :) 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

36 minutes ago, Nocte said:

Turn vsync off in-game and/or NVIDIA control panel.

Hello, that is the first thing I have done, out of many other solutions like uninstalling dvr and stuff. No luck

15 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

That would be because it has a 60Hz display.  60Hz laptop displays can't go over 60Hz.  Or does it have a 144Hz display?

"Above average" means squat, because technically an i7-8550u with Intel UHD is "above average."  But you're right on the latter point.

Btw, I presume your laptop has an i7-8750H & GTX 1050 Ti?  That's what a quick Google search gives me.

I would start with @Nocte's advice. :) 

Yes my laptop has a 60hrtz ips panel but it doesnt make any sense if they cap it to 60. Are you sure about this? because I will play on a external monitor that is 144hrtz. ofc im going to use dp cable aswell. But even if i play on the laptop screen, 60 makes my mouse movements laggy and i will rather play on 120+ fps on my 60hrtz panel that on 60fps.

4 hours ago, Aorio said:

Yes my laptop has a 60hrtz ips panel but it doesnt make any sense if they cap it to 60. Are you sure about this? because I will play on a external monitor that is 144hrtz. ofc im going to use dp cable aswell. But even if i play on the laptop screen, 60 makes my mouse movements laggy and i will rather play on 120+ fps on my 60hrtz panel that on 60fps.

I presume that you have already attempted to overclock the display, otherwise why would you expect more than 60 FPS on a 60 HZ screen straight out of the box? Not all the displays are overclockable and this is the answer. IIRC, you can usually only OC 60 HZ displays to like 75 HZ, which is not the biggest difference

6 hours ago, Aorio said:

I have a MSI GL63 8RD. and for some reason my games wont go above 60hrtz. I need help regarding this as I am going to move to college in a few months and I wont be able to game on my PC. My laptop is well above average and should get me decent frames on low settings. I can bear with 60 frames on every game except Rainbow Six Siege. 60 Frames is basically aids and I cant play on it. I have tried every other guide and it is not fixed yet, Please Help.

Right click on your desktop then choose nVIDIA Control Panel. Go to Manage 3D Settings from the left pane, then scroll down a bit until you see power management. If you see it's set to OPTIMAL which is the default setting when you install a driver. That's your issue.

Optimal Power means when there is no draw on the screen, the GPU clock speeds is set 0 MHz to save power and then ramps up once it needs to. Sounds great on paper, works like crap. This is the number one reason why anyone might experience crappy performance from their nVIDIA GPU. What's worse, is that's the default setting in the nVIDIA Control Panel after you install a new driver often leading people to blame the driver for bad performance when it's just the fault of nVIDIA's clowns.

Set the power management to Adaptive which puts the GPU at lower clock speeds when no GPU intensive apps are in use and it would ramp the clocks up when needed. That actually works. It's the best balance between getting lower heat from the GPU and good performance in games.

When benchmarking, for the optimal results, it's best to set the power management to High Performance.

Mind you, after you change the power management to whatever you set it to, a reboot is mandatory for the new clocks to take effect.

Classical nVIDIA Swiss Cheese

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro