CPU turbos up when it doesn't need to, then doesn't turbo up when it needs to.

LCrunden

Hi all,

So my ethernet port had a hardware failure the other day, so swapped out the motherboard (Asus Z97-Pro) for an identical spare I had lying around. Now in this new(er) motherboard, the cpu (an i7-4790k) does this weird "inverse turboing" thing and I can't quite get to the bottom of it. So when idiling (0-5% utilisation) it sits at about 4.5-4.6GHz, but when under load it goes down to 4.4GHz. This is not a thermal throttling issue as the CPU sits at about 30'C when idle and 50'C when under load. I've cleared the cmos on the bios twice, which hasn't done anything. One thing that I have done is turn the power setting up to "Asus Optimal" from normal which allows it to run at slightly higher clock speeds. When on the normal power setting, it does the same "inverse turboing" thing as it sits at 4.4GHz at idle then goes to 4.2GHz under load. So now I've turned to the forums to see if any of you have any idea what could be the cause of the issue.

Thanks very much,

Lucas

i7-4790k

Asus Z97-Pro

32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3

GTX 1060 3GB

1 minute ago, LCrunden said:

Hi all,

So my ethernet port had a hardware failure the other day, so swapped out the motherboard (Asus Z97-Pro) for an identical spare I had lying around. Now in this new(er) motherboard, the cpu (an i7-4790k) does this weird "inverse turboing" thing and I can't quite get to the bottom of it. So when idiling (0-5% utilisation) it sits at about 4.5-4.6GHz, but when under load it goes down to 4.4GHz. This is not a thermal throttling issue as the CPU sits at about 30'C when idle and 50'C when under load. I've cleared the cmos on the bios twice, which hasn't done anything. One thing that I have done is turn the power setting up to "Asus Optimal" from normal which allows it to run at slightly higher clock speeds. When on the normal power setting, it does the same "inverse turboing" thing as it sits at 4.4GHz at idle then goes to 4.2GHz under load. So now I've turned to the forums to see if any of you have any idea what could be the cause of the issue.

Thanks very much,

Lucas

maybe power throttling?

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

maybe power throttling?

Thanks for the suggestion I'll take a look.

i7-4790k

Asus Z97-Pro

GTX 1060 3GB

5 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

maybe power throttling?

So I've put the power settings back to normal, checked in the power section and it's all set to auto, which I assume means it will just adapt to whatevers going on. The issue is still there ?‍♂️

i7-4790k

Asus Z97-Pro

GTX 1060 3GB

Windows Power Plan = Balanced ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, agent_x007 said:

Windows Power Plan = Balanced ?

Nah it's set to high performance. Weird thing is I never had this issue with the old mobo.

i7-4790k

Asus Z97-Pro

GTX 1060 3GB

Try balanced.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

1 hour ago, LCrunden said:

(Asus Z97-Pro) for an identical spare I had lying around. Now in this new(er) motherboard, the cpu (an i7-4790k) does this weird "inverse turboing" thing and I can't quite get to the bottom of it. So when idiling (0-5% utilisation) it sits at about 4.5-4.6GHz, but when under load it goes down to 4.4GHz. This is not a thermal throttling issue as the CPU sits at about 30'C when idle and 50'C when under load. I've cleared the cmos on the bios twice, which hasn't done anything. One thing that I have done is turn the power setting up to "Asus Optimal" from normal which allows it to run at slightly higher clock speeds. When on the normal power setting, it does the same "inverse turboing" thing as it sits at 4.4GHz at idle then goes to 4.2GHz under load. So now I've turned to the forums to see if any of you have any idea what could be the cause of the issue.

IMO But just spitballin - Multicore Enhancement on Auto, now Gone with New Board. (Sometimes called Enhanced Turbo or different again)
Why - Bios difference is likely... or MCE was enabled before, and isn't patched in (or out) on one of the boards...

#MaynotButCouldBe

Your old Board may have enabled MCE (Even when set to Auto/Default) (Enabling ALLCORES TO TURBO MAX)

New board does not... so you run STANDARD TURBO, which as you are describing,....is whats happening.

It's NOT throttling per-say.

Turbo works with USAGES.

1Core being Used (or Allcores at idle) = MaxTurbo

2Cores being used (Sometimes MaxTurbo, sometimes -100Mhz)

3Cores used - losing another 100Mhz

4Cores used... you get the idea...

More CPU threads tapped, less Turbo.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1639832-various-should-multicore-enhancement-default.html

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

IMO But just spitballin - Multicore Enhancement on Auto, now Gone with New Board. (Sometimes called Enhanced Turbo or different again)
Why - Bios difference is likely... or MCE was enabled before, and isn't patched in (or out) on one of the boards...

#MaynotButCouldBe

Your old Board may have enabled MCE (Even when set to Auto/Default) (Enabling ALLCORES TO TURBO MAX)

New board does not... so you run STANDARD TURBO, which as you are describing,....is whats happening.

It's NOT throttling per-say.

Turbo works with USAGES.

1Core being Used (or Allcores at idle) = MaxTurbo

2Cores being used (Sometimes MaxTurbo, sometimes -100Mhz)

3Cores used - losing another 100Mhz

4Cores used... you get the idea...

More CPU threads tapped, less Turbo.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-general-processor-discussions/1639832-various-should-multicore-enhancement-default.html

Hi,

Thanks for the info - "turbo" frequencies make more sense now, and it also explains why the frequency goes down under full load. MCE is turned on auto on this motherboard - not sure what the status of the old one was.

Thanks for your help.

i7-4790k

Asus Z97-Pro

GTX 1060 3GB