Zenbook Flip 14 vs Dell XPS 13(9380)

Hello everyone,

I've been here, quite a while now and decided to make a topic on one of my thoughts.

I've recently bought the Asus Zenbook Flip 14(UX461UN) and to my little knowledge, it came with some issues. I would say that 2 of them got me to the point of RMAing the device. The first and obvious one was the coil whine, and the second was the distorted sound, even though the laptop is fairly new(bought in September). Other than that, I was happy with the device, although I understood that touch functionality wasn't THAT important for me, but nevertheless it was quite useful for some online lectures that I did.

So, while I am still waiting for that RMA to return, I've made some plans and would like to have your feedback. If the RMA won't fix the issues, I am thinking of selling the laptop and add some budget(~200-300 euros) for a better laptop.

Upon search, I found that the new XPS 13(9380) is quite attractive(still waiting for Linus to drop a review). I would like some more recommendations for thin-and-light laptops, or 2-in-1's that you would suggest.

P.S In case you need more details, the work I'll do on this device consists of web+app development,virtualization and some light photo and video editing.

P.S 2 I am also waiting on the Dell XPS 15 9580, to find out what they've improved.

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

I am from Greece. As I said, if the issues persist, I will sell it, for around 1350-1400 euros. I'll manage to add some more budget, so I would say around ~1700-1800 euros.

For the weight I would say I don't mind at all, as long as more weight == more performance. As for battery, I would say as long as possible, for the hardware it comes with.

2 hours ago, TheLittleWiseMan said:

as long as possible

Min how many hours?

Any links of local online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Min how many hours?

Any links of local online stores?

With my current laptop, on a daily basis I had 7-8 hours of battery and of course that was lowered if the tasks were demanding.

I don't mind sacrificing some battery life for more performance, but I would set a threshold at about 6 hours.

As for online stores you can search through these:

https://www.skroutz.gr/

https://www.bestprice.gr/

If you want more performance:

Asus GL504GM

HP Omen 17 (don't get GSYNC model) - bulky

Dell G7 7588 / G5 5587 / Vostro 7580 - low sRGB FHD IPS

HP Omen 15-dc (don't get 1060 model) - low sRGB FHD IPS (optional 144Hz IPS)

MSI P65 - OKish build quality, mediocre cooling (1060, 1070MQ)

Asus UX580GE/GD - GPU cooling issue

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Asus GL504GM

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations, I appreciate it.

I won't rush to a decision yet, as I am still waiting for a refresh of xps 15, but generally speaking these are great recommendations.

P.S I am also currently looking into Dell's XPS 15 9570(i7/8GB/1050ti), which packs most of the stuff I'd want on my laptop

20 minutes ago, TheLittleWise said:

XPS 15 9570

Many issues

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 2/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Many issues

Thanks for the heads up!

I searched quite a lot on the XPS 15, and I am deadly afraid to even touch it a this point :P

If the refresh (9580) addresses the issues the prior had, at a somewhat same price, I might consider it, but for now, you are spot on - Many issues indeed.

Greece's market is not the best either - I can't afford to purchase from many in-country vendors, as their offers are terrible.

Many manufacturers also are not present, such as Razer, and these facts limit my options.

For the time being thanks for all the help. I am still waiting on my UX461UN to return - it's been 3 weeks now. Asus support informed me that, if the laptop is not fixed, i'll be eligible for a full refund. At that point I'll seek to your assistance again.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:31 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Asus GL504GM

I have a hard time digesting the p65 as an option. It is literally the same as the gs65 in a different color with a much worse keyboard. The steel series keyboard was literally the only stand out feature on that model I liked.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

I have a hard time digesting the p65 as an option

That's why I put it at bottom

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, markr54632 said:

I have a hard time digesting the p65 as an option. It is literally the same as the gs65 in a different color with a much worse keyboard. The steel series keyboard was literally the only stand out feature on that model I liked.

Here - Greece, it is 400-500 euros less than G65, so I guess it is not a bad trade-off, but i don't like it that much.

Also, the hinges give me nightmares, cause I have seen what happens to those kind of hinges.

7 hours ago, TheLittleWise said:

Here - Greece, it is 400-500 euros less than G65, so I guess it is not a bad trade-off, but i don't like it that much.

Also, the hinges give me nightmares, cause I have seen what happens to those kind of hinges.

Quite literally the only standout feature is the keyboard, the rest is garbage.