what is the difference between a xeon and an i7

hello im new here and to the world of computers and I just wanted to know which is better to use for work since I want to use it for graphic design, aminamtions in general, and video editing.

1 minute ago, CUDAcores89 said:

well I did not expect to see a video that is LITTERALY what I wanted and I thank you.

12 minutes ago, thexplosivemuffin said:

well I did not expect to see a video that is LITTERALY what I wanted and I thank you.

good explanation @CUDAcores89

tldr: it's aimed at different people. the core series (i3, i5, i7, i9) is aimed at consumers, the xeon linup to businesses

There are also Xeons that can fit on consumer boards (eg, for Z370), Xeons for HEDT (eg, X99), and Xeons that physically cannot fit (eg, socket 3xxx). The latter generally are much higher in core count and designed for true server rack mount systems. The consumer board Xeons were popular a long while ago, and are found in laptops, but I don't know about desktop usage anymore. I think it's just HEDT and Server stuff.

Xeon :

- More cores than current i7

- ECC memory support

- Multi CPU support, up to 8 cpu per motherboard.

- Support larger total memory (up to 12 dimm slot per cpu socket)

- Slower clock speed for less heat generation

- Fully locked, no overclocking.

- Bigger L3 cache

i7

- Higher clockspeed

- Overclocking

- Lower core count

- No ECC support

- Integrated GPU

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

21 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Xeon :

- More cores than current i7

- ECC memory support

- Multi CPU support, up to 8 cpu per motherboard.

- Support larger total memory (up to 12 dimm slot per cpu socket)

- Slower clock speed for less heat generation

- Fully locked, no overclocking.

- Bigger L3 cache

i7

- Higher clockspeed

- Overclocking

- Lower core count

- No ECC support

- Integrated GPU

Ive seen some Xeons get overclocked to no tomorrow...is this a generational thing or?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Ive seen some Xeons get overclocked to no tomorrow...is this a generational thing or?

Maybe, but most Xeon's have locked multipliers, so what they did was bumping the base clock.

There are some Xeon's that are compatible with the i7 socket like the E3-12XX series, but you can't have ECC on consumer motherboard.

So it defeat the purpose of having one except maybe lower (used) price.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Yes.

Pre-X58, I dunno.

X58 era (Westmere/Nehalem) Xeons were all BCLK unlocked, with BCLK decoupled from PCIe clock. Two Xeon models were also multiplier unlocked just like the i7-980/990x models were-- in fact, they were the same chip just branded differently and with ECC support.

X79 era Xeons were not BCLK unlocked, beyond 1-3 mhz, with BCLK also coupled to PCIe, so that method fails. However, there were a few models of E3-16xx chips that were multiplier unlocked. Like X58, these corresponded with the i7-2/3xxx Extreme variants.

X99 era, not sure. Maybe single socket E3-16xx were unlocked?

Current era: not overclockable iirc unless you go for the W-3175X insane model.

Now, why would you care about using a Xeon in a consumer board? Well, ~3 years after release the server farms tend to decommission servers and dismantlers sell chips CHEAP on ebay and other sites. This can be great if you are looking for a cheap upgrade to a HEDT computer, usually for more cores. You are better served in many cases to just buy the i7 variant, if clockspeed is your goal. However, in some cases it makes sense to get the Xeon equivalent with unlocked BCLK and/or Multiplier to tinker with as the Xeon equivalent is usually much cheaper than the i7. This really is only feasible if you can get the motherboard cheap, or already own it and are looking for a low cost modernizing upgrade. Going from a 6 core unlocked i7 to a 6 core maybe-locked Xeon makes no sense.