Use Chrome OS like a ''normal'' windows computer.

Hey, guys, I have a little question for yah. My dad got a Chromebook and he just can't get used to the Chrome OS feeling of the device. He just started getting used to Windows and now he needs to learn a whole new operating system. Is it possible to let a Chromebook look and feel like a normal windows computer? With a normal desktop, normal everything. 

Thanks, guys :)

2 minutes ago, Etrecz said:

Hey, guys, I have a little question for yah. My dad got a Chromebook and he just can't get used to the Chrome OS feeling of the device. He just started getting used to Windows and now he needs to learn a whole new operating system. Is it possible to let a Chromebook look and feel like a normal windows computer? With a normal desktop, normal everything. 

chrome os is very limited and i dont think that you can enable a windows-like desktop

I don't know if it'd work, but some chromebooks have removable SSDs. I've never tried it, but maybe you could install windows on the SSD with another PC then put the SSD back into the chromebook? I'm not sure it'd even work but if you have one with a removable SSD it just might.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

No, depending on the model you may be able to install windows though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No. Teach your father to use Linux if you want that Chromebook to be useful.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 2/19/2019 at 12:14 PM, Etrecz said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh nahhhhh impossible, just put windows on the machine and should be fine. Lots of tutorials online.

You would most likely be able to install windows on the chromebook. Or simply tell him" your laptop just has a web browser. nothing else"

Desktop:

Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.7GHz, 8GB x 2 GSkill Ripjaws, Gigabyte Gaming B8 Motherboard, 256GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD, 1.27 TB of Spanned Goodness, GTX 1050 Ti, and GT 710. Runs both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10, and Pop! OS 20.04 LTS.

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

7TB Array in Proxmox server

Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

You can install a Linux distribution instead of Chrome OS to see if that helps your dad, but there is no way, at least that I am aware of, that you can install Windows on a Chromebook.

Thanks, guys for the answers. I already searched on the internet for a lot of information about how to use ChromeOS. It is not the best OS out there but this is the laptop his work gave him so he needs to learn how to use it. I already explained some basic things and he is getting the hang of it. 

Yeah, glad I could help.

Mhmm, it's either he learns how to use ChromeOS or he installs a Linux distro.

:)

56 minutes ago, DrTesla said:

Yeah, glad I could help.

Mhmm, it's either he learns how to use ChromeOS or he installs a Linux distro.

:)

I don't think his work will thank me for installing another OS on the computer. :)