r9 270x stuck at 450mhz

No matter what game I play, my r9 270x's core clock is stuck at peak 450 mhz even though all applications such as radeon settings and afterburner have it set as 1050mhz(see pictures for reference). Because of this I'm not able to even get 60fps in games such as mirrors edge catalyst at medium settings when I should be easily able to achieve that. Could be thermal throttling but as the pictures show, temperature peaked out at just 79C. HELP PLEASE

my other specs:-

Asrock x58 extreme 3 mobo

Intel Xeon x5660 @2.8ghz

8GB ddr3

fsp 550watt psu

Capture.PNG

Run ddu in safe mode clear all drivers, dont run msi afterburner. Install the new drivers, since thats still gcn you can install 19.2.2, Run superposition and check if problem is still there. If yes Clean the card and repaste, and try again.

3 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

Run ddu in safe mode clear all drivers, dont run msi afterburner. Install the new drivers, since thats still gcn you can install 19.2.2, Run superposition and check if problem is still there. If yes Clean the card and repaste, and try again.

actually it didn't do anything. problem persists

79 isn't too high but there might be an error with the readings. Can you do anything temporary to lower the temps? Just to see if temps are the issue

MSI RX 570 8GB | i7 3370 @3.4/3.8  |  MS Spectrum  |  120GB OCZ VERT3X SSD  | Seagate 1TB SSHD |

14 hours ago, NoobKing said:

79 isn't too high but there might be an error with the readings. Can you do anything temporary to lower the temps? Just to see if temps are the issue

yep it sure is thermal throttling. ran games with the pc side panel off and a fan next to it. core clock stayed at 1000mhz but temps stayed at >95C. Just changed the paste a couple of months ago. what could be the problem? please help