need advice on what to do after computer died

OttoVonBismarck

hey guys, back in December i took my ageing computer which had a bad power supply and was not performing and bought a new PSU and upgraded my two GTX 970s to a GTX 1080TI which has been a lot better for my 3440x1440 monitor.

the system was:

Maximus VII hero

8gb ram

GTX 1080TI

Antec High Current Gamer 850w (only one they had in stock when i went, boy what a mistake i made)

However - i made a big big mistake on the power supply. i got Antec High Current mixed up with High Current Gamer. It's been only about 2 months and the power supply died and it has taken my motherboard, and god knows what else with it. After taking my power supply out i did the paperclip test to see if the power supply was still live - nothing. So i bought a new EVGA G2 power supply (i am sorry EVGA i will never buy another brand) and plugged it in... only for my computer to not power on at all beyond some LEDs on the motherboard. No beeps, no POST codes on the LED screen on the board. As far as i can tell, my power supply dying has killed my motherboard. i am beyond livid that Antec's terrible PSU killed my system within 2 months of purchase after many years of solid use out of my old EVGA one that went gracefully when it died and didn't break anything on the way out.

Now my motherboard is too old for warranty, its a maximus VII hero that isn't even sold anymore, i can't find it on any sites. i can't get a new one. I had been waiting to upgrade my whole system to a Ryzen 3700x setup in the middle of the year because i knew my computer was getting on in years and i wanted to rebuild it (obviously keeping my new gpu).

Now i'm in a massive pickle, i would have to wait months and months and months for the ryzen 3700x and i don't know what to do. i am not even sure of how many parts i lost when the power supply went. Should i buy a new motherboard and see if i can get my system running as is? should i just put aside my old parts and make the jump to an AMD board, DDR4 RAM and a budget AMD CPU and then try to sell that CPU and upgrade to the 3700x later? I don't know what to do. my budget i guess would be between $500-800 AUD

Sorry to hear about your shitty experience.. 

If you plan on upgrading to Zen 2 I would go ahead and just a mobo, RAM and CPU. The 2600 I added is a little more than some other options but it'll probably sell the easiest as well.. And you might even like it and not need to upgrade right away (I love mine). I chose the Taichi motherboard because it's one of the best and cheaper than the Asus and Gigabyte alternatives I would consider safe for Zen 2. You could get a cheaper one if you wanted to save a little more but I would stick with X470 over B450 for upgrades. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

I looked through these, many are marked to be not working or with things like " Item was found in a box in a storage unit, I have no way to test it or really know how. That is why ", and many others say "Does not ship to Australia"