SSD to an old laptop.

Djesur Feim

Hi

İs it ok if i put an ssd to an old laptop. My cousins laptop is annoyingly slow so i think an ssd would do the work. İts just a simple laptop for work.

My other question is if i change the os from win 7 to win 10? Will that make a performance increase? 

Thnx

Specs: Acer aspire 8920

Cpu: İntel core duo 2ghz

Ram: 2gb

Gpu: nvidia geforce 9500m gs 512mb

It'd help a bit to get an SSD. I'd stay in windows 7 and you should also upgrade to 4gb of RAM, which is still low but it's the most the laptop can support. (2Gb RAM is basically unusable today)

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

The SSD will help, a lot. I'm not sure about changing to OS since W10 uses a lot of RAM at idle and the laptop only has 2 gigs of RAM. I would personally stick with W7 because I like it better, but thats just me.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

9 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

It'd help a bit to get an SSD. I'd stay in windows 7 and you should also upgrade to 4gb of RAM, which is still low but it's the most the laptop can support. (2Gb RAM is basically unusable today)

Cant i use two 4gb sticks?

1 minute ago, Djesur Feim said:

You should actually be making sure that you can upgrade the RAM. A lot of laptops have the SODIMM RAM soldered to the motherboard, making it non-upgradable.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, Djesur Feim said:

If you already have 2 4Gb DDR2 SO-DIMMs then nothing could probably go wrong if you try. But I see one of three things happening:

1 - yay, the laptop will somehow detect and use all 8Gb of RAM

2 - oh well, it only detects 4Gb of the RAM anyways

3 - it will refuse to turn on

what config does it have right now? 2 1Gb sticks or 1 2Gb stick?

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

You should actually be making sure that you can upgrade the RAM. A lot of laptops have the SODIMM RAM soldered to the motherboard, making it non-upgradable.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-8920g

10 minutes ago, mxk. said:

The SSD will help, a lot. I'm not sure about changing to OS since W10 uses a lot of RAM at idle and the laptop only has 2 gigs of RAM. I would personally stick with W7 because I like it better, but thats just me.

So 

2 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

If you already have 2 4Gb DDR2 SO-DIMMs then nothing could probably go wrong if you try. But I see one of three things happening:

1 - yay, the laptop will somehow detect and use all 8Gb of RAM

2 - oh well, it only detects 4Gb of the RAM anyways

3 - it will refuse to turn on

what config does it have right now? 2 1Gb sticks or 1 2Gb stick?

I think it has just one stick of 2gb. Actually somebody said in the forum said that it wont detect 8gb of ram :(

4 minutes ago, Djesur Feim said:

I think it has just one stick of 2gb. Actually somebody said in the forum said that it wont detect 8gb of ram

It won't detect 8Gb of RAM because the chipset (Intel PM965) only supports up to 4Gb.

Since it has an empty RAM slot, you could either use another 2Gb stick if you have one. You could also try putting one of the 4Gb sticks in the other slot(idk if you already have them or what) and see if it'll work (you'll still have only 4Gb of usable RAM if it does work, but if you already have the RAM then you don't have to go out and buy a 2Gb stick)

4Gb of ram is still double what it has right now.

1 minute ago, Adorable Cat said:

It won't detect 8Gb of RAM because the chipset (Intel PM965) only supports up to 4Gb.

Since it has an empty RAM slot, you could either use another 2Gb stick if you have one. You could also try putting one of the 4Gb sticks in the other slot(idk if you already have them or what) and see if it'll work (you'll still have only 4Gb of usable RAM if it does work, but if you already have the RAM then you don't have to go out and buy a 2Gb stick)

I havent any ram sticks but hope its a 2gb stick ao i can buy one more 2gb 

7 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

Does the ram speed matter i saw one 670hz and 800hz

2 minutes ago, Djesur Feim said:

Does the ram speed matter i saw one 670hz and 800hz

I'd get whichever's cheaper. the RAM that's already in there is 667Mhz so if you got the 800Mhz RAM it'd just underclock the 800Mhz one to 667 to match the other one.

1 hour ago, Adorable Cat said:

I'd get whichever's cheaper. the RAM that's already in there is 667Mhz so if you got the 800Mhz RAM it'd just underclock the 800Mhz one to 667 to match the other one.

Can i do that with the old bios and that mobo 

• 1 year later...

just because its old dont mean its still good.  i hate the attitude most people have.  example-  its to old bin it.

if you dont have a clue take my advise.  keep your mouth shut