Cablemod Pro vs Cheapo stuff

Firewrath9

I want a kit of nice individually sleeved cable extentions (full kits are expensive)  for an upcoming build, was going on amazon and saw that there were lots of unknown brands (upHere, Asiahorse, EZ-DIY, etc (30$)), along with some higher-end expensive stuff (cablemod modmesh pro (55$)).

as far as I am aware, here is what each kit contains:

upHere (300mm) https://www.amazon.com/uphere-Sleeved-Cable-extension-extra-sleeved/dp/B06XNV7H6Y/

24 pin atx

8 pin eps

2x 8 pin PCIe

2x 6 pin PCIe

and cablemod pro https://www.amazon.com/CableMod-ModMesh-Cable-Extension-Black/dp/B0799DB4Z6/ (side note @CableMod, is that from your offical amazon store becuase its sold by performancePCs)

24 pin atx

4+4 pin eps

2x 6+2 pin PCIe

so basically the upHere has more cables (allow a 2 way sli of 8+6 pin gpus), its almost half the price, but is worse quality (?), however the reviews seem to be good, same with the cablemod ones.

so basically, is it worth getting the cablemod ones? ignore color, white or white/black is both fine.

also, what are the thickness of the cable (with sleeveing), cablemod is 3.6mm i think, and the uphere is ~3mm?

TL:DR, is cablemod pro extensions worth paying almost 2x for instead of cheapo offbrand

not buying a full set, as a full set of cablemod pros are 120$+ 

Bitwit made a video on it. He goes over it pretty well. The knock off brands are more plastic-y but are pretty durable, and din't get dirty as easy as the CableMod cables. The CableMod cables are going to be easier to bend and such, since it's actually cloth sleeving instead of synthetic plastic.

I'd pick up the cheaper extensions, personally.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

@Firewrath9 at the end of the day, go with what you can afford as that is what is best for you. I will mention though that while we list warranty duration's on products as, we don't really care about that, if you ever run into an issue with our product, you contact our support team and we'll get you taken care of right away. We also test all cables prior to shipping to ensure you're given a plug and play solution. Peace of mind. :)

5 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

2 minutes ago, mxk. said:

The CableMod cables are going to be easier to bend and such

Not the pro cables he's talking about.  The PET oversleeve combined with the thicker wires make those bad boys stiff af.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, CableMod said:

@Firewrath9 at the end of the day, go with what you can afford as that is what is best for you. I will mention though that while we list warranty duration's on products as, we don't really care about that, if you ever run into an issue with our product, you contact our support team and we'll get you taken care of right away. We also test all cables prior to shipping to ensure you're given a plug and play solution. Peace of mind. :)

ok, btw is the amazon seller (performance pcs) one of your official sellers?

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Bitwit made a video on it. He goes over it pretty well. The knock off brands are more plastic-y but are pretty durable, and din't get dirty as easy as the CableMod cables. The CableMod cables are going to be easier to bend and such, since it's actually cloth sleeving instead of synthetic plastic.

I'd pick up the cheaper extensions, personally.

@mxk. that video was a bit flawed actually, because we offer ModFlex (paracord) and ModMesh (nylon) sleeving types which wasn't shown properly. The cables shouldn't get dirty either as long as you aren't eating cheetos before handling your cables. :D

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

Not the pro cables he's talking about.  The PET oversleeve combined with the thicker wires make those bad boys stiff af.

I prefer the look of the pro, as the regular ones look, stringy.

IIRC, upHere is basically an Amazon brand. I could be mistaken about that, but I think they're the PC component equivalent of Amazon Basics.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

you can always DIY them too, you can buy a DIY depin tool, some heat shrink tube and some sleeving material for very cheap. its quite a bit of tedious work though, that kinda why Cablemod and the like exist, so that someone else does the work for you :P il be DIYing mine as Cablemod is simply too expensive for the look i want

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@mxk. that video was a bit flawed actually, because we offer ModFlex (paracord) and ModMesh (nylon) sleeving types which wasn't shown properly. The cables shouldn't get dirty either as long as you aren't eating cheetos before handling your cables. :D

Doritos and building PCs go together like booting up for the first time and RMAing all the things.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Doritos and building PCs go together like booting up for the first time and RMAing all the things.

I never eat when I build, have I been missing out on something...?

once i was confused why my pc didn't post, and i took everything out and put it back, in, checked the psu, cables and everything, then 2 hours later realized I didn't plug it into the wall outlet xD

Get something like Bitfenix Alchemy. They aren't that much more expensive than up Here, but they are pretty good quality. And it feels like they used cloth sleeving (I am not saying that they actually use it, just that they feel like that). There are kits and separate cables available

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

Get something like Bitfenix Alchemy. They aren't that much more expensive than up Here, but they are pretty good quality. And it feels like they used cloth sleeving (I am not saying that they actually use it, just that they feel like that). There are kits and separate cables available

they look kind of stringy, but they are 16AWG, which is more than the upHere (18awg), but my psu cables are 18AWG so it doesn't matter.

@CableMod, 1 last thing, what gauge are your modmesh pro? 16AWG or 18AWG?

On 2/15/2019 at 4:49 AM, Firewrath9 said:

I never eat when I build, have I been missing out on something...?

once i was confused why my pc didn't post, and i took everything out and put it back, in, checked the psu, cables and everything, then 2 hours later realized I didn't plug it into the wall outlet xD

I once had a PSU die on me, and had to return it. Decided to disassemble and dust my parts when the replacement came in, after installing new PSU PC would not turn on.

Many replacement parts later, I realised I had no inserted the primary ram properly, and now had most of a second PC.

That is the story of how I came to have a gaming HTPC for my lounge room

On 2/14/2019 at 3:37 PM, Firewrath9 said:

they look kind of stringy, but they are 16AWG, which is more than the upHere (18awg), but my psu cables are 18AWG so it doesn't matter.

@CableMod, 1 last thing, what gauge are your modmesh pro? 16AWG or 18AWG?

@Firewrath9 we use 18 AWG in our cables, there's no noticeable difference in 16AWG other then the fact it costs more. :)