Looking for a modem for gigabet internet

D4550

I recently moved to a location that offers gigabit internet and I am currently using their hardware.  I've always had coaxial modems and never one with a straight ethernet connection.  Trying to find a good modem but resources on that topic is very scarce.  I would like a modem with four ports, I would like to try and avoid a modem/router combo.  I used Moto Surfboards in the past but havent been able to find one that isnt coxial.

If you don't want a combo unit then you probably wont find a modem with more ports because for that it should be mixed with a switch. In those cases they often trow in a router too because else you have a modem which doesn't do DHCP etc but you can add multiple devices already.

Makes sense.  Any ideas for a modem/router combo?

5 hours ago, D4550 said:

I used Moto Surfboards in the past but havent been able to find one that isnt coxial.

Then you have a Fiber connection? Because thats the only other service I can think of that has gigabit. Also, its going to be hard if not impossible to find a "modem" that does fiber service. Most if not all providers I have seen require you to use their box. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have comcast xfinity. It does gigabit down 900mbps+ down and 45mbps up. I would not compare it to a true fiber gigabit connection but with the channel bonding I have achieved stable downloads in the 105-115MB range on downloads which equates to 840-920mbps. People with true gigabit connections are 1000/1000 up/down. The difficulty becomes finding affordable wireless AC that can send and receive anything close to gigabit speeds. I know it exists because some cherubs on another forum told me a $600-700 wifi router can produce 800mbps+ up and down speeds with speed tests results to back it up. 

My suggestion is to get standard cable modem with a router built in and bypass it and add an external 5 or 8 port gigabit switch for $20-$30 if you need more ports. 

I have a powerline gigabit AV1200 kit with wifi both 2.4ghz and 5ghz including AC 1850. The fastest internet download speed is around 150-160mbps even with the gigabit port. 

Personally I use a MikroTik RB3011 that takes a gpon sfp direct from the provider (connected after setting vlan tagging, pppoe, fasttracking). I doubt you'll be able to do that as most isps try to lock you down, but if you set the provider's modem to bridge mode and then getting another router you probably put together a cost effective solution. What isp do you have now? Maybe it's one of those that allows you to bypass with your own gear? Also if you do get a modem try to get on that have hardware acceleration, it will help sustain the gigabit speeds during heavy use.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

I think some additional information is required here.  This is the current modem supplied by CentruyLink ZxyXEL C3000Z

The fiber comes into a box on the outside of the house that converts it over to normal ethernet Cat5e that comes into a network box inside the house and that is what comes into the modem.

A definition of what you mean by a modem, coaxial, fiber and Ethernet is so needed here :) As you describe it what you need is a router. But then all of a sudden you link to a dsl modem? I am so lost as to what you are talking about :)

So yes it is technically a DSL modem but does not use a DSL line in.  The fiber comes in from the street and is converted in a box (I included a picture) and then is transferred inside the house the the router/modem I linked by ethernet.

20190214_114726.jpg

Basically, you don't need a modem - the box above is doing that job.  The box you are using inside is a router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, D4550 said:

So yes it is technically a DSL modem but does not use a DSL line in.  The fiber comes in from the street and is converted in a box (I included a picture) and then is transferred inside the house the the router/modem I linked by ethernet.

What you have there is an ONT which is basically your modem. If they run Ethernet from the ONT to inside the house then any router should work. I didnt even know that Centurylink was deploying Fiber, learn new things every day. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.