What is wrong with AMD

25 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Actually we have no reason to believe that it's dropping that much with Nvidia also using HBM2 en masse for it's highest end cards (not turing because G6, I expect Ampere quadros to use hbm2 again). Literally every source I can find is saying it's near $300. Even the rumors from within AMD are saying they are making about $0 on the card. That's not because of the vega20 die, it's the HBM2

DRAM pricing in general is dropping, it's not like HBM2 is some extremely special sauce. Even if it was, gradually shipping in greater quantities would lead to lower pricing via economies of scale.

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

DRAM pricing in general is dropping, it's not like HBM2 is some extremely special sauce. Even if it was, gradually shipping in greater quantities would lead to lower pricing via economies of scale.

Yes it is actually. HBM and HBM2 was never supposed to cost what it does but it turns out it's not easy to make. Have you seen the DRAM market? Just because it's in mass production doesnt mean the price goes down.. *looks at DDR3 and DDR4 RAM pricing* If the supply is low and the demand is high they are going to keep prices high, and they might even restrict supply, you know like they are rumored to have done with RAM.

Edit: Actually I should point out the DRAM makers have been already convicted MULTIPLE times of doing that, they are just being accused of it again recently.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

Why are people so hell bent on going to extremes with these companies,   Sorry OP you are not alone and I am not singling you out, we have so many people who are invested in either damning AMD or praising them beyond reality. 

As to why people may be invested in them is that they badly want competition in the high end

21 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Yes it is actually. HBM and HBM2 was never supposed to cost what it does but it turns out it's not easy to make. Have you seen the DRAM market? Just because it's in mass production doesnt mean the price goes down.. *looks at DDR3 and DDR4 RAM pricing* If the supply is low and the demand is high they are going to keep prices high, and they might even restrict supply, you know like they are rumored to have done with RAM.

Edit: Actually I should point out the DRAM makers have been already convicted MULTIPLE times of doing that, they are just being accused of it again recently. 

Yes, I have seen the DRAM market.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dram-memory-ram-prices-decline,38444.html

It's a disappointment only for people who don't understand the situation.

AMD is still working on a profitable GPU like Polaris which is codenamed Navi. It'll arive sometime later in 2019.

Radeon 7 was made to salvage GPU's that can't be Radeon Instinct. So, instead of tossing them away and making absolute loss with that, they are selling them. And while they are not making any profit from them, it means they are not making any loss. So, every Instinct card they sell makes profit. The rest generates nothing so it's neutral.

And by releasing Radeon 7, AMD showed they are still relevant with high end cards. People are disappointed and whining, but really, what were they expecting? It's essentially a higher clocked Vega 64 with less compute units. Given it's around RTX 2080 performance, it's perfectly fine. RTX and DLSS features are a pointless thing to brag about, it's been months and all you can play is 2 games for RTX. DLSS could be done just fine in a generic way without all this "deep learning" buzzword nonsense, but they decided not to. Supported by one whole game. Yawn.

AMD is not in the position to churn out cards financially so they are playing it smart. Polaris is still profitable and very much usable, Navi is in the works and they are killing loss with Radeon 7. It's not ideal, but it's as optimal as AMD can make it right now.