Using a phone as a external dac

Negitiveonegaming

I have the lg v20 which has the quad dac built in. My question is are there any app/program that can use my phone as a dac I have to have it connected to use the internet/have my games on the SD card so it's not a inconvenience and just wanted to know before I buy something. 

Don't think you can. It's better to just get an external one for cheap and use that.

Here's a little recommendation from me
FX Audio DAC-X6. It's a pretty good DAC/AMP combo that pretty much outclasses everything within it's price range new. 

If you really want to use your phone though, you can use something like SoundWire or AudioRelay.

3 hours ago, vertix said:

Don't think you can. It's better to just get an external one for cheap and use that.

Here's a little recommendation from me
FX Audio DAC-X6. It's a pretty good DAC/AMP combo that pretty much outclasses everything within it's price range new. 

If you really want to use your phone though, you can use something like SoundWire or AudioRelay.

OK thank you

LG phone DACs are up there with the best desktop models. If you want to stream your computer's audio with it as the output device, Voicemeeter has an android app (VBAN receptor) which ought to do the trick. Essentially use VBAN desktop on your computer to create a virtual output device which streams directly to your phone. Soundwire might also be a good alternative.

I haven't used this product in particular before, but other Voicemeeter software has been a lifesaver in the past for getting odd things to interface properly.

36 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

LG phone DACs are up there with the best desktop models. 

This is not true. Not in the least. If you've tried some legitimate High-End DAC's then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be saying that right now. I've tried the V20 with the Quad Dac at a showroom before and I gotta say, I was impressed, but they are nowhere near the best.

• 2 years later...

I can confirm that VBAN, part of the voicemeeter family of products, works a treat. However, VBAN receptor is ~$6.00 & there is a little latency, especially when dealing with big 'ol flacs.

On the topic of phones being used as DACs in general, my S10+ has a better output in terms of clarity than my dell laptop (almost everything does), but the headphone out on my behringer U-Phono UFO202 is better still, and so is my behringer UMC404HD. The LG V60's 'quad dac' gimmick is generally right up there with the best that I've personally got, better than the monolith liquid spark and almost indistinguishable from the fiio BTR5. Nothing compares to the headphone out's raw power on my technics SA-300, but a good phone DAC can sound better, in my personal experience, than the majority of stand-alone DACs under $100. Especially if you overcook the preamp a bit (AIMP).

Why not spend $6.00 instead of $100, or even $60?

Just some food for thought.