Help! Threadripper 2950x temperature spikes

Hello guys.

Yesterday I built my threadripper pc. My cpu is the 2950x. My motherboard is the gigabyte x399 designate ex and for cooling the cpu i bought the NZXT kraken x72.

When I installed hwinfo and and Ryzen Master I noticed that when almost idle (1-3% usage) my cpu temp spikes from 38 to 47 degrees Celsius for a couple of seconds and then lowers back to 38 degrees Celsius. 10 seconds later the same thing happens. My cpu is not overclocked and the cpu voltage is on auto so it gets from 1.175 to even 1.475 volts( a bit high imo) and then drops again to about 1.2 volts. When playing pubg in 1080p ultra setting my cpu temp is about 48-51 degrees Celsius. The aio fans are at 1400 rpm and the pump is at 70-80 percent. In bios my cpu temp is stable at 37 degrees. So are those temperature (and voltage) spikes normal for the 2950x. Also do u think that my cpu temperatures are ok or not??? I would really appreciate an answer because the situation is a bit frustrating...

Thank you in advance

Yes those spikes are normal, my R7 1700 does it while oc and stock, it will bump up to 50-60 and then go back down to 30

And yes your temperatures are great with that chip when gaming. 

Cpu -Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo - Asus Prime B550M
Ram - 32GB 2x16 Gskill Ripjaws V 3600mhz
Gfx Card - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Ventus OC
PSU - PowerSpec 650W 80+ Bronze
SSD - Samsung QVO 1TB
HDD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
HDD - WD Blue 360Gb 7200RPM
HDD - WD Blue 140Gb 7200RPM
HDD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
Screen 1 - AOC 27' 1440P 144 HZ Curved Monitor
Screen 2 - AOC 27' 1440P 144 HZ Curved Monitor
Case - Silverstone SST-LD01B

I can't say mine are all that spikey in either of my TR systems.

Could you please explain what happens with your threadripper on auto voltage? Do you get temperature and voltage spikes??? Also what are your cpu  temps when idle and when playing games              ( though it depends on the cooling method you are using)???

AMD has a dynamic frequency scaling so it will auto overclock and overvolt your CPU to oc itself so IMO it seems normal you just might have a poor mount as well.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

6 minutes ago, OrestisKotopoulos said:

Could you please explain what happens with your threadripper on auto voltage? Do you get temperature and voltage spikes??? Also what are your cpu  temps when idle and when playing games              ( though it depends on the cooling method you are using)???

Make sure you're quoting people. People don't get notifications when you don't quote them, so your comment will just sit there until someone sees it. Quote someone by clicking the arrow button in our comment boxes, like the one in the picture.quote.jpeg.7662b2375321202a1ab38f393dc71b65.jpeg

13 minutes ago, King Poet said:

I can't say mine are all that spikey in either of my TR systems.

But your AIO is a TR4 AIO, not a kraken X72, right?

I think OP's cooler isn't covering the whole block and that might result in these temps. Not fully sure, though.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

39 minutes ago, OrestisKotopoulos said:

Hello guys.

Yesterday I built my threadripper pc. My cpu is the 2950x. My motherboard is the gigabyte x399 designate ex and for cooling the cpu i bought the NZXT kraken x72.

When I installed hwinfo and and Ryzen Master I noticed that when almost idle (1-3% usage) my cpu temp spikes from 38 to 47 degrees Celsius for a couple of seconds and then lowers back to 38 degrees Celsius. 10 seconds later the same thing happens. My cpu is not overclocked and the cpu voltage is on auto so it gets from 1.175 to even 1.475 volts( a bit high imo) and then drops again to about 1.2 volts. When playing pubg in 1080p ultra setting my cpu temp is about 48-51 degrees Celsius. The aio fans are at 1400 rpm and the pump is at 70-80 percent. In bios my cpu temp is stable at 37 degrees. So are those temperature (and voltage) spikes normal for the 2950x. Also do u think that my cpu temperatures are ok or not??? I would really appreciate an answer because the situation is a bit frustrating...

Thank you in advance

Those temps aren't alarming, but you might want to grab a different AIO with a TR4 block instead so you can fully cool it. Also setting voltage manually in the bios to something like 1.35 or so will keep stuff like that in check.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

31 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Make sure you're quoting people. People don't get notifications when you don't quote them, so your comment will just sit there until someone sees it. Quote someone by clicking the arrow button in our comment boxes, like the one in the picture.quote.jpeg.7662b2375321202a1ab38f393dc71b65.jpeg

But your AIO is a TR4 AIO, not a kraken X72, right?

I think OP's cooler isn't covering the whole block and that might result in these temps. Not fully sure, though.

My cooler is the kraken x72. I read that it was compatible with threadrippers.It also had great reviews so I bought it.The thermal paste i used was not brand new. I bought it last year and I use some of the remaining portion for the thread ripper build. Before using it though I checked it.  It wasn’t dry or too wet and smelled OK.

My maximum temperature when stressing the cpu   Is 69 degrees Celsius  with some minor spikes to 71°C . Right now I am playing pubg and I get 51 degrees  with fans at 1100 rpm and the voltage on auto. I don’t know if those temperatures are OK or not 

9 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

Those temps aren't alarming, but you might want to grab a different AIO with a TR4 block instead so you can fully cool it. Also setting voltage manually in the bios to something like 1.35 or so will keep stuff like that in check.

What CPU temperatures would be ideal (Idle-gaming-100% load)? Right now I’m playing pubg and the cpu is at 51 degrees with some minor spike to 59 when  falling from the airplane for example. But then it lowers again to 50 or 49°C One stressing the CPU using Aida 64 max temp is 67-69 degrees with minor spike to 72. 90% of the time listen the CPU  is sitting  at 68 to 69°

7 minutes ago, OrestisKotopoulos said:

My cooler is the kraken x72.  The thermal paste i used was not brand new. I bought it last year and I use some of the remaining portion for the thread ripper build. Before using it though I checked it.  It wasn’t dry or too wet and smelled OK.

My maximum temperature when stressing the cpu   Is 69 degrees Celsius  with some minor spikes to 71°C . Right now I am playing pubg and I get 51 degrees  with fans at 1100 rpm and the voltage on auto. I don’t know if those temperatures are OK or not 

It's not bad, just know that your cooler isn't covering the whole CPU. You probably should have spent the money that the kraken X72 costs on a good threadripper AIO that covers the block.

Just now, OrestisKotopoulos said:

What CPU temperatures would be ideal (Idle-gaming-100% load)? Right now I’m playing pubg and the cpu is at 51 degrees with some minor spike to 59 when  falling from the airplane for example. But then it lowers again to 50 or 49°C One stressing the CPU using Aida 64 max temp is 67-69 degrees with minor spike to 72. 90% of the time listen the CPU  is sitting  at 68 to 69°

AIDA64 stresses the CPU more than a regular load will, like playing PUBG. You're completely fine. I still agree though, get a different cooler that is made for threadripper instead of the X72.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

2 minutes ago, mxk. said:

It's not bad, just know that your cooler isn't covering the whole CPU. You probably should have spent the money that the kraken X72 costs on a good threadripper AIO that covers the block.

AIDA64 stresses the CPU more than a regular load will, like playing PUBG. You're completely fine. I still agree though, get a different cooler that is made for threadripper instead of the X72.

So my these voltage spikes and temps are ok and my cpu is safe?

Just now, OrestisKotopoulos said:

So my these voltage spikes and temps are ok and my cpu is safe?

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

AIDA64 stresses the CPU more than a regular load will, like playing PUBG. You're completely fine.

Yes. I still do recommend getting a different cooler made for threadripper when you start doing more than gaming, or much heavier loads.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

Yes. I still do recommend getting a different cooler made for threadripper when you start doing more than gaming, or much heavier loads.

Thank you 

• 4 weeks later...

oops, forgot to quote, and there's no delete button...

Edited by eraoul

On 2/5/2019 at 8:27 PM, mxk. said:

As far as I can tell no one has yet made a decent TR4 AIO with a full block, right? There was that garbage from Enermax where even the "fixed" v2 corrodes and leaks...; is there anything else available? I also have a 2950X and Kraken x72, and might just do a custom loop since I don't think there are good AIOs available. But I'd love it if someone has a good non-Enermax link.

Just now, eraoul said:

As far as I can tell no one has yet made a decent TR4 AIO with a full block, right? There was that garbage from Enermax where even the "fixed" v2 corrodes and leaks...; is there anything else available? I also have a 2950X and Kraken x72, and might just do a custom loop since I don't think there are good AIOs available. But I'd love it if someone has a good non-Enermax link.

I know the Enermax one is one of them, I didn't know it had issues since I know people here on this site using it. 

I know there are some other ones but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now since people either do custom loops or air cooling with TR4.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

I know the Enermax one is one of them, I didn't know it had issues since I know people here on this site using it. 

I know there are some other ones but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now since people either do custom loops or air cooling with TR4.

Thanks -- I'll look around more but might just go custom loop. Trying to keep fan noise down so I was avoiding those big air coolers.

1 minute ago, eraoul said:

Thanks -- I'll look around more but might just go custom loop. Trying to keep fan noise down so I was avoiding those big air coolers.

Yup, I get that. I took a look on pcpartpicker but didn't find much, but I'm fairly sure that there are TR4 AIOs... Oh well, happy building!

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, eraoul said:

Larger air coolers shouldn't have issues with fan noise as long as they're using decent fans, in fact, I've seen opposite evidence across my tech experience just due to AIOs having inferior fans. Dark Rock Pro 4 for instance uses great fans and is my personal favorite for high end coolers.

8 minutes ago, eraoul said:

Here's a cooler master 360 rad with an actual TR4 block

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H241RP2/?tag=pcpapi-20

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

On 3/1/2019 at 5:54 PM, TheDankKoosh said:

Larger air coolers shouldn't have issues with fan noise as long as they're using decent fans, in fact, I've seen opposite evidence across my tech experience just due to AIOs having inferior fans. Dark Rock Pro 4 for instance uses great fans and is my personal favorite for high end coolers.

Yeah, I was thinking the same over the weekend. Ended up getting the big Noctua TR4 air cooler and might switch to liquid down the line if I need more cooling.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:54 PM, TheDankKoosh said:

Here's a cooler master 360 rad with an actual TR4 block

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H241RP2/?tag=pcpapi-20

I was curious about this one, but saw several negative reviews on Amazon about a plastic piece that can break. Still, I'd be interested in seeing a nice teardown and/or performance comparison between this and other coolers. I wasn't sure whether the internal heatblock parts are really TR4-style or if it's just a big rectangular plate on top of an old circular Asetek block, and if so, how the cooling might suffer as a result.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:54 PM, eraoul said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same over the weekend. Ended up getting the big Noctua TR4 air cooler and might switch to liquid down the line if I need more cooling.

I was curious about this one, but saw several negative reviews on Amazon about a plastic piece that can break. Still, I'd be interested in seeing a nice teardown and/or performance comparison between this and other coolers. I wasn't sure whether the internal heatblock parts are really TR4-style or if it's just a big rectangular plate on top of an old circular Asetek block, and if so, how the cooling might suffer as a result.

Since you also have the 2950x I would like to ask you something. Since I built the pc when playing games I get low gpu usage (2080ti) and low frame rates which indicates a cpu bottleneck. The resolution I play at is 2560x1440p. I know that the 2950x is designed to play games like the 9900k for example but in every review the say that “ the 2950x strikes the perfect balance between great performance in demanding workloads and gaming. But when playing call of duty black ops 4 blackout in 2560x1440p with everything maxed out, no v sync for example I get 65-115 fps (90 fps average) and gpu usage is about 45-65 percent while the 9900k at the same setting and with the same cpu hits 180-200+ fps. That’s a huge difference. The only obvious that may hold me system back is the fact that I have dual channel ram (2x8 gb 3000mhz) and not quad channel. What do you think? Could this be because of the ram??? My cpu cooler is the kraken x72 and when playing game I get 50-58 degrees Celsius with a silent fan profile. Max temp when stressing with Aida 64 is 71 degrees