Do you still play Grand Theft Auto V  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still play Grand Theft Auto V

• Yes but I do not enjoy it as much
    • No never played it
    • Yes and still do enjoy it very much
    • No stopped playing it

1 minute ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

My mistake. I tried editing my comment after I read the rest of your specs and realized what it was. Have you tried running the game in 900p?

Lowering the res would make the bottleneck worse. Res is dependent on my GPU, it's really just the fact that my CPU is so bad.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Lowering the res would make the bottleneck worse. Res is dependent on my GPU, it's really just the fact that my CPU is so bad.

Have you tried lowering it though?

Just now, Dr. Historic Low said:

Have you tried lowering it though?

Yup. Not worth it really, I spend too much time in counter strike and haven't been playing GTA V. It'll be on my list for when I have a better PC. I don't want to just play counter strike on an i7 PC.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

19 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Yup. Not worth it really, I spend too much time in counter strike and haven't been playing GTA V. It'll be on my list for when I have a better PC. I don't want to just play counter strike on an i7 PC.

I see. Do you by chance remember the fps you were getting in GTA 5? I would think your current PC could achieve 40-60 fps in 1080p. That's definitely playable but not exactly ideal so I can understand why you'd wait to enjoy it on your future PC. I get 49-65 fps sometimes in the city during certain missions right now and it's totally noticeable when the majority of the time I'm at 75-105. I blame my CPU and RAM speeds. My cooler doesn't allow me to use my turbo CPU clock for extended periods of time and my mobo only allows DDR4-2133 speed RAM, but I'm content with the 49-64 fps when it does hit there moderately.

Now that I think about it, even if you were to achieve 40-60 fps in 1080p with that current rig, I'm willing to bet it dips down into the 30's or even 20's in the city during certain missions. Just something GTA 5 does with any PC from what I hear from dozens of people. It's well optimized imo but it's just certain areas of the game that have the weirdest fps fluctuations.

Just now, Dr. Historic Low said:

I see. Do you by chance remember the fps you were getting in GTA 5? I would think your current PC could achieve 40-60 fps in 1080p. That's definitely playable but not exactly ideal so I can understand why you'd wait to enjoy it on your future PC. I get 49-65 fps sometimes in the city during certain missions online right now and it's totally noticeable when the majority of the time I'm at 75-105. I blame my CPU and RAM speeds. My cooler doesn't allow me to use my turbo CPU clock for extended periods of time so I'm content with the 49-64 fps when it does hit there moderately.

Now that I think about it, even if you were to achieve 40-60 fps in 1080p with that current rig, I'm willing to bet it dips down into the 30's or even 20's in the city during certain missions. Just something GTA 5 does with any PC from what I hear from dozens of people. It's well optimized imo but it's just certain areas of the game that have the weirdest fps fluctuations.

I'd actually have to install it to be sure. I remember doing the benchmark and getting decent, more than playable FPS, but when I got into some of the more intense scenes my FPS fucking died. I remember being able to play a lot of the game with a decent amount of explosions with low-medium settings when I still had my GTX 960, but I've been wanting to do missions with my friends and thats going to be more intense than just me messing around. I'll have to take a look and try to find the sweet spot for resolution.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I'll have to take a look and try to find the sweet spot for resolution.

I'd actually recommend you wait to play it on your new PC. Playing on that CPU is like you said, just not worth it. To be honest, you should try building that new PC earlier than you'd expect it to be done. Snag a quality 80+ Bronze PSU for about fifty bucks. Snag a random case and a used i5 for around $100-$150 or something until you get the dough for that i7. Especially if you don't plan on recording/streaming/editing game play anytime soon. You'd be surprised what a 6th gen i5 is capable of. I have a tiny, tiny bottleneck using it and that's just because of my CPU and RAM speeds like I said. And of course my motherboard limiting my RAM speed.

1 minute ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

I'd actually recommend you wait to play it on your new PC. Playing on that CPU is like you said, just not worth it. To be honest, you should try building that new PC earlier than you'd expect it to be done. Snag a quality 80+ Bronze PSU for about fifty bucks. Snag a random case and a used i5 for around $100-$150 or something until you get the dough for that i7. Especially if you don't plan on recording/streaming/editing game play anytime soon. You'd be surprised what a 6th gen i5 is capable of. I have a tiny, tiny bottleneck using it and that's just because of my CPU and RAM speeds like I said. And of course my motherboard limiting my RAM speed.

Not worth it for me to spend the extra money. I already have my Z390 motherboard, and I'm waiting for the Intel employee store to go back into stock so I can pick up a discounted 9700k. I'm almost at the legal age to get a job but not quite there so I really need all the money I can get. I really have no issue editing and playing counter strike on my poop PC at the moment since csgo requires barely any PC beef to play. I don't have any issue with recording, either. Shadowplay looks just fine to me, in my opinion. I'd probably get the $400 for the rest of my parts and paints before I can get it back after spending money on an i5.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

10 hours ago, mxk. said:

Shadowplay looks just fine to me, in my opinion.

I love Shadowplay. Works wonders on an i5.