Looking to install Windows 7 on my pc.

I am looking to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 7, the purpose of this is because I am tired of all the bugs and limitations found within the newer version of windows. 

My questions are as follows; 

1. What are the quick pros and cons of downgrading?
  2. How should I go about installing the old OS?  My computer came with Win10 pre-installed :(  
  3. Where do I start?

Thanks for your time :) 

What CPU do you have? Don't nail me down, but as far as I remember from 6th or 7th Gen Intel cpus and ryzen cpus require win 10

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Don't downgrade. Just configure your system proper. If you have any problem - ask for help. Win10 can work basically the same good as win7.

4 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

What CPU do you have? Don't nail me down, but as far as I remember from 6th or 7th Gen Intel cpus and ryzen cpus require win 10

No, from those gen, mobo disables the usb drivers on mouse & keyboards , lead to no input in installing page. you need to mod the windows before installing (add drivers back)

16 minutes ago, Christian A said:

am looking to downgrade from windows 10 to windows 7, the purpose of this is because I am tired of all the bugs

OP. what bugs are you seeing?? why do you think win 7 is better? 

39 minutes ago, Christian A said:

What are the quick pros and cons of downgrading?

Pros:

• An objectively better start menu.
  • Less built-in bloat.

Cons:

• Does not support DirectX 12.
  • Poor multi-monitor support.
  • Lack of driver support.
  • Lack of support from new game releases.
  • Lack of support from software developers.
  • Will reach End of Life on 14 January 2020. This means you will no longer receive security updates.
    THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Every new Windows 10 update provides changes that improve the user experience without visually changing the user experience. You can view the most recent changes to Windows 10 at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4480976. Updates such as this are released often and are necessary for the continued security of your device. You will be leaving yourself vulnerable without them, hence why the US Military pays millions for Microsoft to continue providing patches for legacy operating systems. See https://slate.com/technology/2018/06/why-the-military-cant-quit-windows-xp.html.

If you're sticking with Windows, stay with Windows 10. If you downgrade, you will be kicking yourself after EOL. There are plenty of steps you can take to get rid of features you're not fond of in Windows 10. If you are sick of Windows, try a Linux distro.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

I only started using Windows 10 in the beginning of 2018 because that is when the Window 10 gaming issues/ bugs were all dealt with. The last one was a Direct X vram issue. 

Every time I tried to upgrade Windows 7 to 10 it was a buggy mess. Every time I tried to use USB install it was just less of a buggy mess. Every time I installed Windows 10 from a CD it is been more stable than Windows 7.  

Even my Dosbox games like Windows 10 better than they did Windows 7. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Win 7 won't work on 8th and 9th gen intel chips. 

Windows 10 is fine, just disable all the spying and bloatware. 

My views of pros and cons for Windows 7 and Windows 10 are in these posts. Some of the information in them is outdated, but a lot of it still applies:

On 2/3/2019 at 11:34 PM, corrado33 said:

Win 7 won't work on 8th and 9th gen intel chips. 

Windows 10 is fine, just disable all the spying and bloatware. 

Windows 7 works perfectly fine on those Intel chips.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:03 PM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

No, from those gen, mobo disables the usb drivers on mouse & keyboards , lead to no input in installing page. you need to mod the windows before installing (add drivers back)

The mobo doesn't disable USB drivers. It's just that the Windows 7 installer doesn't have USB 3 drivers on it, since USB 3 didn't exist when Windows 7 was released.

USB 3 drivers can be added to the Windows 7 installer by using a tool like MSI Smart Tool, which created a bootable USB 3 installer of Windows 7: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=261560.0

On 2/3/2019 at 10:55 PM, 19_blackie_73 said:

Those CPUs will work with Windows 7. All that Microsoft has done is block Windows Update on post-Skylake CPUs. But, that restriction is artificial and can easily be removed by running this patch: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

On 2/3/2019 at 11:17 PM, Homeless Pineapple said:

Cons:

• Will reach End of Life on 14 January 2020. This means you will no longer receive security updates.

I don't know of any new games that don't run Windows 7, other than Microsoft's UWP titles that are purchased through the Microsoft store. But, who purchases anything through the Microsoft store?

XP's security updates can still be received by doing simple registry tweak. I expect the same will be true of Windows 7 security updates until 2023, when Microsoft will stop making security updates for Windows 7.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

15 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I have an i7-6500U paired with Nvidias' 9 series graphics card

14 hours ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Pros:

• An objectively better start menu.
  • Less built-in bloat.

Cons:

• Does not support DirectX 12.
  • Poor multi-monitor support.
  • Lack of driver support.
    THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Every new Windows 10 update provides changes that improve the user experience without visually changing the user experience. You can view the most recent changes to Windows 10 at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4480976. Updates such as this are released often and are necessary for the continued security of your device. You will be leaving yourself vulnerable without them, hence why the US Military pays millions for Microsoft to continue providing patches for legacy operating systems. See https://slate.com/technology/2018/06/why-the-military-cant-quit-windows-xp.html.

If you're sticking with Windows, stay with Windows 10. If you downgrade, you will be kicking yourself after EOL. There are plenty of steps you can take to get rid of features you're not fond of in Windows 10. If you are sick of Windows, try a Linux distro.

Thanks for all the help H.P, my system is becoming outdated and can't really keep up with new triple a games, therefore I don't play as much games on my system. The cons are some I can bare with, keeping in mind that Microsoft will release a new version of windows around that time frame. With the new release prevalent I will then switch over and hopefully be satisfied with the experience. 

These are my specs DxDiag.txt

Its all bloatware and sometimes the settings app glitches out and gets stuck.

2 hours ago, Christian A said:

These are my specs DxDiag.txt

Its all bloatware and sometimes the settings app glitches out and gets stuck.

Asus does not seem to provide Windows 7 drivers for your laptop. So that's your biggest hurdle in getting Windows 7 installed and working.

However, the video card for example in this laptop you can get a Windows 7 driver for this from Nvidia's web site same goes for the network adpater which is a Realtek of some kind.

Touchpad could also be a problem according to this 2016 post in Tom's hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3220149/asus-k501ux-touchpad-driver-win10-downgrade-win7.html

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti