Install a new graphics car without messing your drivers

Guest Generallee

This is a little tutorial on how to clean your system completely before installing new drivers, if you are rolling back to an older driver, or if you have problems related to your current driver.

So, a week ago, I decided to swap my 7790 for a R9 290. I Uninstalled the drivers using AMD install utility, turned off the PC, installed the R9, booted, installed latest drivers.

First Issue : AMD Catalyst Control Center won't open, with the nice popup saying that "There are no parameters to be configured with AMD CCC"

Needless to say, no multi monitors, no AMD overdrive, no adjustments of any kind. Tried RadeonPro but my fps was so low in any game I almost threw the card off the window.

What i found though, was hidden in the catalyst control center installation log, in the very end of it, it was marked that the installer indeed installed the latest drivers, for the 7790. and it detected another hardware, kindly marked as 1002-something. That 1002 is in fact the PCI vendor ID of HIS, wich is the manufacturer of my R9.

Here is how to completely wipe your system of any graphic card driver before installing a new one.

Step 1 : Download DIsplay Driver Uninstaller

Link : http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/display_driver_uninstaller_download,4.html

It's a free utility to completely uninstall drivers, it also clean your system for any AMD/Nvidia related software (Like CCC)

This tool has to be used in Safe Mode to ensure that drivers were successfully uninstalled.

Step 2 : Clean remaining registry keys with CCleaner

Link : http://www.01net.com/outils/telecharger/windows/Utilitaire/nettoyeurs_et_installeurs/fiches/tele32599.html

Step 3 : Uninstall manually the default windows driver using the device manager

Right after you uninstalled your driver using DDU, Windows will automatically install it's "Standard VGA Adapter" driver, which I know can sometimes get you in trouble when trying to install another driver. Better keep that with a yellow question mark.

Step 4 : Install your driver

That's it ! no more conflicts between drivers :)

mmmm, I'd like to install a graphics car and download some more ram

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

Sorry for the typo  :D mm yeah my graphics car has a V8, runs bf 4 at 900 fps 

Not good enough. My Graphics tank runs Crysis 3, 4K *3 on max settings with OVER 9000 FPS :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I once had a graphics plane, running so well it blowed from my pc case & flew for brazil, still miss it  B)

Not good enough. My Graphics tank runs Crysis 3, 4K *3 on max settings with OVER 9000 FPS :)

My LT1 runs GTA IV at 8K*3 at 60FPS. Boom.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

should probably fix that if u want to be taken seriously

@needmorewood Seems like a dumb question but how can i do that ?