need new psu. are these good?

JustLiz
Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,
4 hours ago, SquadzzZHD said:

My current PSU is a Corsair VS 550 80+ and is now around 5 Years old. My crashes are usually during gameplay and it just crashes to a blackscreen and goes back to bios screen.

Yeah, newer graphics cards (Vega, GTX1000 and GTX2000) will need sudden spikes of power in an instant, and older PSUs often cannot handle it, the (old, yellow label) Corsair VS is one of them. It's not broken, so don't chuck it out, but you obviously cannot use it with your new PC.

The Vengeance is so much better than the seasonic M12II. I really don't know why Seasonic still sells the S12II/M12II series, it's a fucking joke.

I was looking into getting a new PSU for my PC after having random crashes that I was only able to track back to my PSU but didn't really know what was good. After a little research and looking at local pricing/availability I found these 2

520 Watt Seasonic M12II-520 Evo Modular 80+ Bronze (58,79€)
550 Watt Corsair Vengeance Modular 80+ Bronze (57,92€)

Both seem to be good PSUs but I would love to hear from someone who knows more than me about Powersupplys.

Where are you buying from, and what are you powering?

Among those two, the M12 II is an ancient, group regulated and loud PSU that lacks protections. The Vengeance is a very decent budget PSU. 

:)

Just now, SquadzzZHD said:

Seasonic M12II is almost 10 years old, is group regulated and lacks protections. It's not a good option. There's even a dedicated thread on the forums from over a year ago explaining why you shouldn't but that unit.

Corsair Vengeance is the much better choice. What are your system specs?

1 minute ago, SquadzzZHD said:

I was looking into getting a new PSU for my PC after having random crashes that I was only able to track back to my PSU

What's your current PSU? What sort of crashes are you getting?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Where are you buying from, and what are you powering?

Among those two, the M12 II is an ancient, group regulated and loud PSU that lacks protections. The Vengeance is a very decent budget PSU. 

I am buying of a local retailer called Mindfactory.de and this is my current system 

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Seasonic M12II is almost 10 years old, is group regulated and lacks protections. It's not a good option. There's even a dedicated thread on the forums from over a year ago explaining why you shouldn't but that unit.

Corsair Vengeance is the much better choice. What are your system specs?

What's your current PSU? What sort of crashes are you getting?

My current PSU is a Corsair VS 550 80+ and is now around 5 Years old. My crashes are usually during gameplay and it just crashes to a blackscreen and goes back to bios screen.

If you are overclocking your CPU or GPU, that could be putting slightly too much stress on a power supply of this rating. If you are sure that it is your PSU causing an issue, I would suggest the Corsair Vengeance.

4 hours ago, SquadzzZHD said:

Yeah, newer graphics cards (Vega, GTX1000 and GTX2000) will need sudden spikes of power in an instant, and older PSUs often cannot handle it, the (old, yellow label) Corsair VS is one of them. It's not broken, so don't chuck it out, but you obviously cannot use it with your new PC.

The Vengeance is so much better than the seasonic M12II. I really don't know why Seasonic still sells the S12II/M12II series, it's a fucking joke.

1 hour ago, NPDPdev said:

If you are overclocking your CPU or GPU, that could be putting slightly too much stress on a power supply of this rating. If you are sure that it is your PSU causing an issue, I would suggest the Corsair Vengeance.

Except for factory boosts they weren't overclocked. Seems that the Vengeance is the clear winner.

23 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Alright that is good to know. I will go with Vengeance then. Thanks for the help everyone :).

10 hours ago, SquadzzZHD said:

Both seem to be good PSUs but I would love to hear from someone who knows more than me about Powersupplys.

Get like 5€ more and go for the Bitfenix FOrmula 450W. Its in around the same price range 

The ones you've found are meh, especially the Seasonic is something to avoid as its old low end technology sold for a premium.

The Vengeance is OK.

Still, I'd spend a bit more money for a Bitfenix Formula...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"