convert videos to .avi format?

aezakmi

Hey, I'm looking to convert some videos to the .AVI format, videos are in mp4 and mkv formats and I'm looking to convert them to avi to be able to play them with a DVD player which can only recognize this format, is there any FREE program that can do this, I'm aware there are a lot of "free" programs out there that aren't free at all after you install them and are often bundled with sketchy adware or have giant dumb watermarks that cover all of the video... does anything like what I need exist?

online converters are impossible to use for me since my upload speed is around 10 kb/s and the files I need to convert are several GB in size.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

handbrake? ffmpeg?

searching now

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

searching now

Just remember that AVI like MKV and such is a container and not a codec. The dvd player will prob accept all codecs in it but beter check that imo.

8 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Just remember that AVI like MKV and such is a container and not a codec. The dvd player will prob accept all codecs in it but beter check that imo.

don't know a lot about it but I know it accepts the "264" codec

11 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

don't know a lot about it but I know it accepts the "264" codec

h264 in AVI is something that can work but is more of a "hack". What is the model of the DVD player you want to use?

13 minutes ago, Dujith said:

h264 in AVI is something that can work but is more of a "hack". What is the model of the DVD player you want to use?

Samsung P145

I know it plays it because I once tried with a movie that had that codec and it played it, it was also in avi format 

Weird, looking at that DVD player it states it supports pictures and mp3 but no mention about avi or anything like it.

Also again, you wont find h264 in AVI alot, so i'm doubting if it can play it in a 2004 machine.

34 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Weird, looking at that DVD player it states it supports pictures and mp3 but no mention about avi or anything like it.

Also again, you wont find h264 in AVI alot, so i'm doubting if it can play it in a 2004 machine.

just used Hand Brake

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

handbrake? ffmpeg?

thanks, that one worked