OBS Heavy Stuttering While Recording

kseng445

Hi,

When using OBS's record or replay buffer feature to record various games, my game runs perfectly fine (high FPS), but the recorded video has extremely low and stutter-y FPS. There is no temperature throttling going on in my PC. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. I have the latest version of OBS installed. My specs are i7-8700, GTX 1080 Ti, and 16GB ram.

I presume the issue is that my games are using the full capacity of my GPU and therefore OBS is not using enough to capture a smooth video (quality is fine). I am not 100% sure I am correct, but I am fairly confident in my assumption. This is because when playing my games at an uncapped framerate, the entire captured video is choppy. When the framerate is capped, the captured video is smooth, but becomes choppy in instances where the game's FPS dips below the capped framerate. To me, this makes it seem like OBS is only able to produce a smooth video when the GPU is not being fully used.

So, I think that for normal users, OBS is dedicated some percentage usage of the GPU, while in my case OBS is only using whatever GPU power is left, which in some cases, is none, therefore producing low FPS videos. I do not know how to change this.

I have included my log files for OBS. This shows my OBS setting and at the bottom it shows that I am getting lagged frames.

When using NVIDIA Shadowplay, the capture is always perfect, but I prefer not to use that shit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2019-02-02 15-42-00.txt

To which drive are you saving? HDD or SSD? Have you tried lowering output resolution to fullHD instead? Or upping bitrate even more?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

To which drive are you saving? HDD or SSD? Have you tried lowering output resolution to fullHD instead? Or upping bitrate even more?

I'm saving to a SSD. I have tried lowering the output resolution to FullHD and it does help a tiny bit, but the problem is still 95% there. I did mess around with the bitrate a lot, but it did not seem to affect the video at all, unless I set it absurdly low.

20 minutes ago, kseng445 said:

I'm saving to a SSD. I have tried lowering the output resolution to FullHD and it does help a tiny bit, but the problem is still 95% there. I did mess around with the bitrate a lot, but it did not seem to affect the video at all, unless I set it absurdly low.

What about not using NVENC? If this is about GPU being issue, then moving rendering to CPU might solve it. And at that point my experience stops, hopefully someone using more OBS with high specs can be at help when optimizing settings.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv