I think i killed my motherboard

Be Here Now

So i have a usb hub and i plugged a 12v dc power supply into it and my computer turned off and the usb hub started smoking and 2 capacitors exploded and now my pc won't turn on.

WIN_20190202_14_44_54_Pro.jpg

why my computer broken :(

so you fed 12v in to 5v USB hub that was connected to your computer? lul...... check for burn marks on the motherboard.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

remove non critical parts to bare minimum, attempt boot again.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

remove non critical parts to bare minimum, attempt boot again.

Thanks for the actual formal replay. I've tried turning it on with no headers connect nothing connected to psu except the long connector and cpu power, no gpu, and no sata cables plugged in or any other cables only the power cord, and it shows no sign of life, not even a fan spin

Just now, Jokey Carrot said:

Thanks for the actual formal replay. I've tried turning it on with no headers connect nothing connected to psu except the long connector and cpu power, no gpu, and no sata cables plugged in or any other cables only the power cord, and it shows no sign of life, not even a fan spin

Actually I don't have a very good image of what exactly went down. Can you snap a pic of the configuration that caused the issue?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Actually I don't have a very good image of what exactly went down. Can you snap a pic of the configuration that caused the issue?

just picture the scene computer turned on watching youtube, usb hub plugged into compter. Then i plug the power supply into the barrel jack on the usb hub, theh my computer turns off.

3 minutes ago, Jokey Carrot said:

I've tried turning it on with no headers connect nothing connected to psu except the long connector and cpu power, no gpu, and no sata cables plugged in or any other cables only the power cord, and it shows no sign of life, not even a fan spin

does your CPU have iGPU?
if yes, try booting up your system with PSU, CPU (with cooler), Motherboard, and 1 stick of RAM (bare minimum)
connect only CPU 8/4-pin and 24-pin to the motherboard

clearing CMOS would probably be a good idea too

hopefully your motherboard is well designed that the damage is only affecting the USB VRM components and not your CPU

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Jokey Carrot said:

Then i plug the power supply into the barrel jack on the usb hub

does the power supply come with the usb hub?

Just now, Moonzy said:

does your CPU have iGPU?
if yes, try booting up your system with PSU, CPU (with cooler), Motherboard, and 1 stick of RAM (bare minimum)
connect only CPU 8/4-pin and 24-pin to the motherboard

clearing CMOS would probably be a good idea too

hopefully your motherboard is well designed that the damage is only affecting the USB VRM components and not your CPU

it doesn't trun on at all i can't even get to bios the power supply doesn't even spin up.

2 minutes ago, Jokey Carrot said:

it doesn't trun on at all i can't even get to bios the power supply doesn't even spin up.

does your motherboard light up? there should be sign of life even if idle

if not, two possibilities, dead motherboard or dead PSU

you could also check if the fuse in your PSU cable is burnt if there is one (normally only found in UK plugs)

it is a uk cable i will check the fuse

fuse looks fine tried another cable nothing changed

4 hours ago, Jokey Carrot said:

Update my psu died