Best and Most Suitable Protocol

orbit._

I need a file transfer protocol that works across networks (using my IP) so I can access my files. It would ideally have good native support in Windows and Linux and fast transfer rates and credential support on my server's end. At the moment, the server that I'm looking to access is connected via gigabit ethernet to my router where I receive these speeds. Obviously the upload speeds are not fully ideal but they should be sufficient. I have tried FTP (using proftpd - the server is Ubuntu Server 18.04) but it was honestly too slow for me to bother with. My drives are more than capable as I am able to fully saturate my local gigabit connection with SMB - I know gigabit is a lot more than 20Mbps but I would honestly expect more than 300KBps with FTP. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

PC - Athlon x4 845 // MSI GTX1050 GAMING X // 8GB DDR3 // 860 EVO 250GB // SANDISK PLUS 120GB

NAS - E7500 // 8GB DDR3 // 1x1TB HDD // 2x500GB HDD

//Forever upgrading

Ftp will only go as fast as your drives and network. 

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

Definitely something odd there as FTP is still AFAIK the fastest method as its such a simplistic protocol.

On the other hand FTP is completely insecure so not recommended unless you are okay with everyone accessing it and absolutely do NOT use a password you aren't okay with being stolen.

I tend to use FTP over a VPN (server on my router) to get the best of both worlds, as that still seems to work out faster than SCP or SFTP.  Although even SMB over a VPN can work quite well if the connection is stable.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7