How does one network?

Oliver davies
Go to solution Solved by Oliver davies,
1 minute ago, THraShArD said:

Not to confuse you.  Workgroup and Homegroup are 2 different things. 

Yeah i worked that out aha. Im really new to networking and that link was talking about one drive which i dont want to use so i gave up on that. I think ill just call it a day and just pull out the drives when i need to back up. thanks for the help

I've never used Homegroup setup of any kind.  If you did not enable it, you could try this.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-share-files-and-printers-without-homegroup-windows-10

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

That article should keep you busy for a while.  There are settings scattered all over the place ?

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |

That article should keep you busy for a while.  There are settings scattered all over the place ?

there are aha. as i have it semi working on one pc i will just do the data transfer one way for now.

Yeah i worked that out aha. Im really new to networking and that link was talking about one drive which i dont want to use so i gave up on that. I think ill just call it a day and just pull out the drives when i need to back up. thanks for the help

Yea that One Drive is just 1 method but the next few sections below that cover areas like making sure Windows Defender has sharing setup right.

One Drive is mainly best for MS Office Files, especially if you use Laptop and Windows Phone, but all that stuff is dying off

Personally I wouldn't try to share to "everyone".  If the username/passwords are the same on both PCs then add the specific users to the shares instead, it should "just work" then.

I did it only today, added my Microsoft Account to a share on my new laptop to copy files over from the old one.  I think it tends to go wrong when you try to share with everyone rather than specifying individual users.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 2/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, THraShArD said:

From what I understand it's illegal and Federal Law your ISP, Cable Company...etc to lock down and settings on Router or Cable Box. If you live in the USA

As far as ISP's are concerned we in the US are allowed to buy our own modems. How well companies deal with this differs from company to company. For example Comcast has a list of retail modems and gateways you can buy at a store that WILL work on their network. As far as control goes, Comcast would have the ability to push config files and firmware to customer owned modems, besides that they have not access. While if you use their gateway, they have pretty much a back door in to that device that gives them full control and access. They can actually see every device connected to the gateway in your home, and they can even change settings. This is due to the fact most people have 0 knowledge of how to set these devices up. 

As far as cable boxes go, well there is not much of a market over here. I mean if the device supports cable card then you can use it, but cable cards are poorly supported and wont for certain content to my understanding. So 98% of people use cable boxes from the Cable co and they have remote access to all of it. So the point is, its completely legal for them to lock down any equipment they damn well choose. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.