How does one network?

Oliver davies
Go to solution Solved by Oliver davies,
1 minute ago, THraShArD said:

Not to confuse you.  Workgroup and Homegroup are 2 different things. 

Yeah i worked that out aha. Im really new to networking and that link was talking about one drive which i dont want to use so i gave up on that. I think ill just call it a day and just pull out the drives when i need to back up. thanks for the help

I'm trying to connect 2 PCs together so that they can access each others drives over the network. However just turning network discovery on for both computers does not seem to work. Attached is how I have my network set up and if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated as no you tube video seems able to help me. I don't have access to the router settings as they are locked down by my ISP. Thanks

20190201_193501[1].jpg

If they're both running Windows, create a Workgroup and add both PCs to it. It's not the best solution, but it will grant you access to files on both PCs while both PCs still have network access. Alternatively, you could get a cross-over Ethernet cable; plug an end to each PC, and use the file path bar (top of file explorer, still assuming you're running Windows) and type in the IP address of the other PC (use IPconfig to find it).

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

3 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

If they're both running Windows, create a Workgroup and add both PCs to it. It's not the best solution, but it will grant you access to files on both PCs while both PCs still have network access. Alternatively, you could get a cross-over Ethernet cable; plug an end to each PC, and use the file path bar (top of file explorer, still assuming you're running Windows) and type in the IP address of the other PC (use IPconfig to find it).

Thanks, I'll give this a try and hope it works!

7 minutes ago, Oliver davies said:

Thanks, I'll give this a try and hope it works!

It does not seem to work. Some how I have managed PC1 to detect both its self and the other one on the network. But pc2 is still oblivious that pc1 exists even though pc1 is writing data onto the disk of pc2. It is all very confusing for me.

You probably have Windows automatically assign IP address. Just make sure they are on the same network and subnet talking to the same router.

Make sure both PC have the same account and password on eachother.

Technically you can cheat and use hidden switch command and should work

Start > Run  (Back Slash \\ )   \\ xxxx-IPxxx /c$   \\192.168.1.1 /c$ 

The /c$ is a hidden drive share command

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

As in ping each others ip in cmd?

No, i get destination host unreachable on PC2 trying to ping PC1

and PC1 does not have an issue pinging PC2

Just now, Oliver davies said:

As in ping each others ip in cmd?

No, i get destination host unreachable

then you need to be able to ping first.

What are the ips on the 2 systems?

what is the IP Address for PC1 and PC2

There is a chance Windows Firewall,  UAC Security feature or Anti-Virus software is blocking that.   You would also need to check if you can white-list or for the time being just disable all of those security features.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then you need to be able to ping first.

What are the ips on the 2 systems?

192.168.50.76 for pc 1

192.168.50.63 for pc2

both are on the same subnet

From what I understand it's illegal and Federal Law your ISP, Cable Company...etc to lock down and settings on Router or Cable Box. If you live in the USA

1 minute ago, Oliver davies said:

192.168.50.76 for pc 1

192.168.50.63 for pc2

both are on the same subnet

and they cant ping?

Try turning off the firewall on both.

ok, on PC1 goto Start > RUN

\\192.168.50.63 /c$    and you will have access to PC2  C drive and can move files to PC2.

If you get an error, it could be UAC or some security setting on both PC blocking this

Backslash \\ in beginning and Forward slash / for the C$ switch

I'm in the uk so it is probably different and the ISP I am on is the only one in the area that can give me over 2mb/s so being on good terms with them is a must. I have successfully changed the ips so that both pcs can now ping each other.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

and they cant ping?

Try turning off the firewall on both.

both can now successfully do that now ive disabled firewalls. Still not showing up in network tab of file explorer however.

both can now successfully do that now ive disabled firewalls. Still not showing up in network tab of file explorer however.

then share the folder you want to share under file properties, and then map it as a network drive on the other system.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then share the folder you want to share under file properties, and then map it as a network drive on the other system.

I did that then got an error " windows cannot access \\destop-zxzx\e you do not have permission to access " although i have configured permissions on everyone to have full control. Any ideas?

I did that then got an error " windows cannot access \\destop-zxzx\e you do not have permission to access " although i have configured permissions on everyone to have full control. Any ideas?

did you share the drive? what account are you using? What are share permissions?

There are settings scattered all over the place.

Just make sure you have both accounts as Admin or Power User. I think normal User will work but more might be more involved to setup for normal User.

Make sure same password, setup Sharing for the Drive.

Search apps and look for UAC and shut off.  Disable any anti-virus software.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

did you share the drive? what account are you using? What are share permissions?

the drive is being shared. im using the admin account on that pc. the share permissions are full control for everyone. I did the same on the other pc and it seems to work one way? 

Are both on the same Workgroup ?

Right Click My Computer.  It will list the Computer Name and Workgroup.   Do both PC have the same Workgroup name ?   Normally it should be default as in all CAPS -  WORKGROUP as the name.

If you have everything all setup right you can do the same and not use IP address

Start > Run   \\Computer2   but for some reason you have to use back slash to access C hidden when typing the PC name and not IP

\\Computer2 \c$

2 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

Are both on the same Workgroup ?

Right Click My Computer.  It will list the Computer Name and Workgroup.   Do both PC have the same Workgroup name ?   Normally it should be default as in all CAPS -  WORKGROUP as the name.

If you have everything all setup right you can do the same and not use IP address

Start > Run   \\Computer2   but for some reason you have to use back slash to access C hidden when typing the PC name and not IP

\\Computer2 \c$

start then run? Im on windows 10 aha how do i do that win + r? And both are in a work group but it does not seem to be functioning correctly.

Are both PC windows 10 ?

lol, that's f-ed up, it's suppose to be  Windows Key + Pause button to bring up System PC properties but my PC not working and doing it.  

Funny, i'm using a Microsoft Keyboard too, but my other PC is doing it with a Logitech keyboard...hahah  

Edit: Nevermind, the MS keyboard has a F-Lock key and needed that turned on first or something

2 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

Are both PC windows 10 ?

Yes they are. i did that on win+r and nothing happened just an error saying " 

image.png