Boiling point of Jagermeister?

docomeister
Go to solution Solved by Kleine IJsbeer,

If you mix 2 pure liquids, the mixture will not have 1 boiling point, it will actually have a temperature range between its saturated liquid and saturated vapor states, and each of them will be between the boiling point of the original 2 liquids.

To explain a bit more clearly, lets look at the example of pure water. Try it some time, if you boil pure water, as you continue to heat it, the temperature of the water will always be ~100 C (depending on atmospheric pressure where you are), why? Well, simple, liquid water cannot exist at temperatures beyond its boiling point. Any heat added to a saturated liquid contributes to its phase change enthalpy, which makes steam. The water itself will not heat up. Similarly, you can’t have cold steam (obviously), steam will always be ~100 C or more. There is one saturation temperature, meaning that liquid and vapor can only exist in equilibrium if they’re both 100 C. The saturation temperature does change with pressure however.

In a mixed liquid, that’s not the case. In a mixed liquid, let’s say water and ethanol (everybody’s favorite), Once you get the liquid to a boiling temperature (Bubble Point), it will actually continue to heat up as it boils. Eventually, you will reach a temperature where it will stop heating up, and it will only be boiling (Dew Point). However, each of these saturation temperatures is between the saturation temperatures of the two original liquids.

In short, it doesn’t work like you’d think it might, where you get to one boiling point and one part boils off then you get to the other boiling point and the other part boils off. That being said, they do boil off at different rates, which are based on their relative volatilities.

source

I'm not that great in translating what I learned in school so I googled it and someone was imo more capable than me to explain how the boiling point of two (or more) mixed fluids works. To summarize it's kind of a trajectory instead of 1 set temperature, so it'll start to boil as soon as it's hot enough for alcohol to boil but it'll continue heating until water is at it's max liquid temperature not counting all other stuff in Jägermeister for the ease of explanation. Because if you'd consider those and try to boil all liquid out of Jägermeister you would have just a messy residu of spices and such left unless you were to boil those as well lol

Hey I wrote here wondering if anyone *just happens* to know what the boiling temperature of Jagermeister is. I have some experiments in mind involving Jagermeister (because I have some and it's not exactly my favourite beverage) and an old CPU. I was considering to do some maths knowing water and alcohol boiling points, and approximate what it could be, but idk how the 56 plants change the properties of the liquid. As I understood, it doesn't freeze at 0°C, so I'm guessing boiling point must also be somewhere below 100. I don't have any precise thermometer to just go ahead and measure it, but I might give it a shot (lol) with the cooking thermometer, and compare to math results. But meanwhile, let me know if you happen to already have this info.

MOBO: MSI Krait Gaming X370 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X [4GHz @1.43V] | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz [2933MHz CAS 16]

GPU: ASUS GTX1060 6GB DUAL Series | SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB

CASE: Thermaltake Suppressor F51 | PSU: Corsair VS550 | COOLING: Corsair H60 [70°C Max @1400rpm] | DISPLAY: LG 29" Ultra Wide, BenQ 1080p Projector

MOUSE: Trust GXT31 MOUSE MAT: HyperX Fury | KEYBOARD: Logitech G510s | UNDERWEAR: HyperX

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 | HEADSET: HyperX Core Cloud | SPEAKERS: Behringer MS16, SONY HT-RT3

CPU-Z Validator: DUCKPC

Ethanol boils at 78,37 °C, water at 100 and the rest of the stuff probably dont matter much. 

Dont know what percentage alcohol Jagermister is, i just pulled 40% out of my ass but you can just look at your bottle and change the numbers. Anyway here is what i got:

0,4*78,37 + 0,6*100 = 91,348

So ~91,35 °C in that case. Just change 0,4 to whatever part is alcohol and 0,6 to 1 minus whatever 0,4 was changed too

*edit*

Looked up Jagermeister, seemed to be 35% so here is the calculations for 35%

0,35*78.37 + 0,65*100 = 92,42

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The 56 plants won't matter much because they will not boil anyway. If you boil jagermeister it's the water and ethanol that will boil, not the species.

For boiling purposes, you can think of it as 35% ethanol (boiling point of somewhere around 80 degrees I think) and 65% water (boiling point of 100 degrees). Since it's mostly water and ethanol, and they have somewhat similar boiling points, it will basically be the same as regular water. My guess is around 90-93 degrees.

you cant get boiling temp of mixture. when heated above boiling temp of alcohol, you shall see steam (or maybe bubbles) gradually coming out. this will give you a false image of the overall boiling point 

also more "impurities" lowers the boiling point

That's not bad, though a bit higher than what I was hoping. Might boil some at home if my wife isn't watching, just to test my cooking thermometer. Have to find a CPU with decent enough max temp, I don't think the Athlons are up to the job. Will be using toothpaste as conductor.

MOBO: MSI Krait Gaming X370 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X [4GHz @1.43V] | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz [2933MHz CAS 16]

CASE: Thermaltake Suppressor F51 | PSU: Corsair VS550 | COOLING: Corsair H60 [70°C Max @1400rpm] | DISPLAY: LG 29" Ultra Wide, BenQ 1080p Projector

MOUSE: Trust GXT31 MOUSE MAT: HyperX Fury | KEYBOARD: Logitech G510s | UNDERWEAR: HyperX

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 | HEADSET: HyperX Core Cloud | SPEAKERS: Behringer MS16, SONY HT-RT3

An option would be adding pure ethanol to the mix but then that wouldn't be jager anymore right? So come to think about it, the ethanol would be the first to boil out of the solution? That might work out alright.

1 minute ago, docomeister said:

An option would be adding pure ethanol to the mix but then that wouldn't be jager anymore right? So come to think about it, the ethanol would be the first to boil out of the solution? That might work out alright.

friend informed me you can get 50% of the stuff, that should boil a bit lower. Its a bit more complicated than i made it seem though so i wont promise that my calculations are especially righ :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

you cant get boiling temp of mixture. when heated above boiling temp of alcohol, you shall see steam (or maybe bubbles) gradually coming out. this will give you a false image of the overall boiling point 

also more "impurities" lowers the boiling point

well.... when doing testing to check if milk suppliers add water to the milk to have more if it, they check freezing temps. 

so there may be a change

I'm not looking to distill this, lol, as I said, there's a CPU involved :)

If you mix 2 pure liquids, the mixture will not have 1 boiling point, it will actually have a temperature range between its saturated liquid and saturated vapor states, and each of them will be between the boiling point of the original 2 liquids.

To explain a bit more clearly, lets look at the example of pure water. Try it some time, if you boil pure water, as you continue to heat it, the temperature of the water will always be ~100 C (depending on atmospheric pressure where you are), why? Well, simple, liquid water cannot exist at temperatures beyond its boiling point. Any heat added to a saturated liquid contributes to its phase change enthalpy, which makes steam. The water itself will not heat up. Similarly, you can’t have cold steam (obviously), steam will always be ~100 C or more. There is one saturation temperature, meaning that liquid and vapor can only exist in equilibrium if they’re both 100 C. The saturation temperature does change with pressure however.

In a mixed liquid, that’s not the case. In a mixed liquid, let’s say water and ethanol (everybody’s favorite), Once you get the liquid to a boiling temperature (Bubble Point), it will actually continue to heat up as it boils. Eventually, you will reach a temperature where it will stop heating up, and it will only be boiling (Dew Point). However, each of these saturation temperatures is between the saturation temperatures of the two original liquids.

In short, it doesn’t work like you’d think it might, where you get to one boiling point and one part boils off then you get to the other boiling point and the other part boils off. That being said, they do boil off at different rates, which are based on their relative volatilities.

source

I'm not that great in translating what I learned in school so I googled it and someone was imo more capable than me to explain how the boiling point of two (or more) mixed fluids works. To summarize it's kind of a trajectory instead of 1 set temperature, so it'll start to boil as soon as it's hot enough for alcohol to boil but it'll continue heating until water is at it's max liquid temperature not counting all other stuff in Jägermeister for the ease of explanation. Because if you'd consider those and try to boil all liquid out of Jägermeister you would have just a messy residu of spices and such left unless you were to boil those as well lol

while (alive == true) { breathe(); }

2 hours ago, Kleine IJsbeer said:

source

You're a legend thanks for the great explanation :)