Thermal paste

AkSo2504

I have changed the Thermal paste on my gtx 970 because it was getting louder and louder an changing the thermal paste put the temps down to how they were when i bought the card.

But after a month or so it started getting louder again, thats why i changed it again but the same thing happened around one month after too. 

I have build a pc for a friend of mine which all worked out good but now hes telling me that the temps of his cpu are getting higher every week.

Does someone know what could be causing this? Maybe because the paste is lying around for 2 years now?

The Paste used is Arctic MX-4.

Thanks for helping :).

If you have been able to physically remove the fan several times, I would just replace the whole fan assembly

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

8 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

If you have been able to physically remove the fan several times, I would just replace the whole fan assembly

what do you mean with that? Its clearyly the thermal paste because the temps were normal again after changing the paste. 

Just now, ChewToy! said:

The same thermal paste was used on all of these applications not seeing improvement? 

yes it was used on all of them.

i dont really understand why thermal past would behave like that.

1 minute ago, AkSo2504 said:

yes it was used on all of them.

i dont really understand why thermal past would behave like that.

Yea, that's kind of weird. The only way to know for sure if that's the issue is to try another paste and compare the results. I just used Kryonaut from Amazon and am having good results on my CPU. Sucks it's expensive, but worth it if you don't need a lot (like in my case).

I'm sure paste can also come bad, like any other product, so it might just be that tube and not necessarily the age of it. Also have to look out for fake brands online, I've seen a few copy cats on Amazon. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

1 minute ago, ChewToy! said:

Yea, that's kind of weird. The only way to know for sure if that's the issue is to try another paste and compare the results. I just used Kryonaut from Amazon and am having good results on my CPU. Sucks it's expensive, but worth it if you don't need a lot (like in my case).

I'm sure paste can also come bad, like any other product, so it might just be that tube and not necessarily the age of it. Also have to look out for fake brands online, I've seen a few copy cats on Amazon. 

yea thx for your help anyway :). I will try kryonout

I never heard of bad thermal paste and applying it again in just a few months.  Unless you have something that is super old.

I used 3 or 4yo Artic Silver and applied it to my Playstation 3 and never had an issue. 

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

5 hours ago, AkSo2504 said:

I have changed the Thermal paste on my gtx 970 because it was getting louder and louder an changing the thermal paste put the temps down to how they were when i bought the card.

But after a month or so it started getting louder again, thats why i changed it again but the same thing happened around one month after too. 

I have build a pc for a friend of mine which all worked out good but now hes telling me that the temps of his cpu are getting higher every week.

Does someone know what could be causing this? Maybe because the paste is lying around for 2 years now?

The Paste used is Arctic MX-4.

Thanks for helping :).

Might be pump out effect. MX4 is not great for direct die contact.

5 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

Might be pump out effect. MX4 is not great for direct die contact.

But the same thing is happening on the cpu of my friend(not delidded)

There is nothing wrong with the paste. 

Whenever you apply a new layer the temps would always be better. But as time wears on, the stuff will degrade a little and that's when you get the true temps.

If you are so worried about overheating then get a better cooler to attach on the thing, or maybe go the cheap man's route and rip the fans that came with it and zip tie some better fans onto the old cooler.

Either way, live with it or be willing to spent some money.

9 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

There is nothing wrong with the paste. 

Whenever you apply a new layer the temps would always be better. But as time wears on, the stuff will degrade a little and that's when you get the true temps.

If you are so worried about overheating then get a better cooler to attach on the thing, or maybe go the cheap man's route and rip the fans that came with it and zip tie some better fans onto the old cooler.

Either way, live with it or be willing to spent some money.

But i cant imagine it degrading so fast and so strong

25 minutes ago, AkSo2504 said:

But i cant imagine it degrading so fast and so strong

Pretty common if the cooler wasn't properly mounted. Did you try reseating it? It's important to gradually tighten the screws in an X-pattern for an even mount. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Pretty common if the cooler wasn't properly mounted. Did you try reseating it? It's important to gradually tighten the screws in an X-pattern for an even mount. 

yes on my 970 i tried 5 times and the first 3 weeks it was normal and then it started getting hotter

11 hours ago, AkSo2504 said:

yes on my 970 i tried 5 times and the first 3 weeks it was normal and then it started getting hotter

Are you sure that the mount is as tight as you can get it? 

If the cooler is mounted properly, it seems like you're experiencing pump out issues. If that's the case, you could try a different thermal paste like NT-H1. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you sure that the mount is as tight as you can get it? 

If the cooler is mounted properly, it seems like you're experiencing pump out issues. If that's the case, you could try a different thermal paste like NT-H1. 

yes im sure, but still thx for answering.

i will try different thermal paste