i5 2500 temperature too high?

Hello,

Any ideas on how to lower the temperature of my CPU? I believe it's way too hot. I recently wanted to clean the dust from my cooler (stock Intel). While putting it back I broke that freakin push pins. The temps with them broken were HIGH but I managed to get a good stock cooler from a friend. I put some thermal paste (Cooler Master High Performance) and put the heatsink on. All push pins clicked well.

My temps now, with only one Chrome tab open (nothing else) are around 51 degrees Celsius. When gaming, depending on the game they go up to 70.

Specs:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500 @ 3.30GHz
RAM
    10,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 - weird combination I know :P
Motherboard
    Intel Corporation DH67CL
Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Cooling

Stock Intel Heatsink/Cooler/Fan

120mm PSU fan (above CPU)

120mm exhaust fan (left to CPU)

2x80mm (I believe) fans from GPU (under CPU)

No intake fan, but I'll get it soon - case issues...

P.S. current room temperature is 20.3 degrees celsius

Thank you for helping, regards.

70C is fine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks for the quick reply! What about idle temperature? It now dropped a bit and it's hovering between 40 and 50.

1 minute ago, dontdropitlinus said:

Thanks for the quick reply! What about idle temperature? It now dropped a bit and it's hovering between 40 and 50.

Sounds about right for a stock cooler. If you want to bring them down you can pick up something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (under $30) but as long as everything works and it's not thermal throttling I wouldn't worry too much.

1 minute ago, snowfox99 said:

Sounds about right for a stock cooler. If you want to bring them down you can pick up something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (under $30) but as long as everything works and it's not thermal throttling I wouldn't worry too much.

Great! I'm really glad it's fine, I was worried is the cooler fine, did I apply the thermal paste right...

I'll play some more games and maybe do some small rendering and report if I get above 70.

7 minutes ago, dontdropitlinus said:

idle temps arent really a metric that counts unless they are very close to the max temp of the CPU and/or its throttleing under no or very little load. 

use quotes to make sure that people get a notification about your reply too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, dontdropitlinus said:

Great! I'm really glad it's fine, I was worried is the cooler fine, did I apply the thermal paste right...

I'll play some more games and maybe do some small rendering and report if I get above 70.

If you want a tool to test CPU temps/throttling, I'd recommend grabbing a free trial of AIDA64 extreme and using its System Stability Test function (circled):

image.png.cacd481d1d2dba17e5ea1c3a188f3449.png

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

idle temps arent really a metric that counts unless they are very close to the max temp of the CPU and/or its throttleing under no or very little load. 

use quotes to make sure that people get a notification about your reply too

Makes sense. :) With the broken push pins (3 of them) the idle temps were 70-80 degrees. I just shut the PC down and waited for the cooler and paste to arrive...

1 minute ago, snowfox99 said:

If you want a tool to test CPU temps/throttling, I'd recommend grabbing a free trial of AIDA64 extreme and using its System Stability Test function (circled):

image.png.cacd481d1d2dba17e5ea1c3a188f3449.png

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Thanks, will try it.

Just now, dontdropitlinus said:

Makes sense. :) With the broken push pins (3 of them) the idle temps were 70-80 degrees. I just shut the PC down and waited for the cooler and paste to arrive...

yah, good choice to not hurt the chip

Builds:

Spoiler