Why Does USB Flash Drive Transfer Speed Getting Worse

TukangUsapEmenq

Nah. Here's the point. 

I've got a USB thumb drive, from Toshiba that got 4 GB of storage, with USB 2.0. Bought it for be like 8 years ago and still reliably functional (somewhat need a solder fix on the port, tho. Wiggling like crazy) 

When I copy things into it, at least maximum speed of 10-15 MB/s (forget the exact number but it's good enough actually) for transfer speed, and it's stable, enough. Barely got spikes. 

And then, I've got a deal of SandDisk CruzerBlade (original ofc), 32 GB and USB 2.0 too. Barely even touch 10 MB/s. Sometimes even the speed drops for a while. (not because of amount of small data copied, I know this really affect speed). Dunno why. Maybe the size of the drive affects speed either? 

But. I did lend my friend's thumb drive (when I need it and didn't bring my own), at 4 or 8 GBs, same either. Barely touch 10 MB/s. And it's speed are spiking up and down like... Real hard. 

Any explanation of this? I'm curious enough tbh. Different quality of flash memory or what? 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

35 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Nah. Here's the point. 

I've got a USB thumb drive, from Toshiba that got 4 GB of storage, with USB 2.0. Bought it for be like 8 years ago and still reliably functional (somewhat need a solder fix on the port, tho. Wiggling like crazy) 

When I copy things into it, at least maximum speed of 10-15 MB/s (forget the exact number but it's good enough actually) for transfer speed, and it's stable, enough. Barely got spikes. 

And then, I've got a deal of SandDisk CruzerBlade (original ofc), 32 GB and USB 2.0 too. Barely even touch 10 MB/s. Sometimes even the speed drops for a while. (not because of amount of small data copied, I know this really affect speed). Dunno why. Maybe the size of the drive affects speed either? 

But. I did lend my friend's thumb drive (when I need it and didn't bring my own), at 4 or 8 GBs, same either. Barely touch 10 MB/s. And it's speed are spiking up and down like... Real hard. 

Any explanation of this? I'm curious enough tbh. Different quality of flash memory or what? 

Different quality of flash memory, and similar to SSD's, over-time and with lots of writes they will start to substantially slow down. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

21 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

20 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Different quality of flash memory, and similar to SSD's, over-time and with lots of writes they will start to substantially slow down. (correct me if I'm wrong)

No correction needed - you're basically correct here. Different brands (or even models / series) of drives can have different grades / qualities of flash NAND storage or controllers. These differences can cause anything from slower speeds to abnormal disconnects with some USB hubs running certain chipsets. (Even the USB ports in a computer technically run off an internal hub.) Plus, the flash NAND cells wear out over time, and copy at different speeds depending on the block size of the files themselves.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)