Tax time build (Four years Overdue.)

mepwm

Okay! 

So, in a nutshell, this is what I plan to achieve;

I am looking to purchase inside the United States. I will be making my purchases (NEW) online (Newegg, Amazon, etc etc.) And I have a fair amount of building experience. I currently have a decent set of parts in my rig, but after bricking my old motherboard, my i5 2500k is out of play. (Newbie mistake, bending some pins while reseating a new CPU cooler.) The mobo I had to replace the old one for free was SOL. 2x bad DIMM slots and a nasty power cycle issue that I just couldn't pin down after major troubleshooting. I have decided with my tax money that I will be updating my rig. I have been out of the current tech scene and am so busy with everything else that I get so frustrated trying to do major research on parts and such. If anyone has a moment and they wouldn't mind helping me out, I need a savage mobo/CPU/RAM combo that I can put together myself for the best bang for the buck. I mostly intend to game but have been considering a bunch of workhorse related environments as well.  My budget bare bones for CPU/RAM/MOBO is 1000$ USD. I might be able to spare a bit more for a CPU cooler and a new case. I can do that research on my own due to aesthetics. I currently Have a "working" case(ATX, mATX, ITX,) a fantastic working 1050TI, case fans, SSD, HDD, hyper 212 Evo(compatibility permitted,) and a PSU(This will probably need to be replaced given a newer CPU, considering I don't plan to change my GPU. Yet. I am unsure of the WATT so don't worry so much about this as I can afford to budget this in as long as we aren't talking a plat 1200.) 

I am very interested in switching over to team red for my next CPU. What are some pros and cons to doing so? And what kind of suggestions would anyone have for me?  I am mostly focused on the strongest value for money in regards to MOBO/CPU/RAM. I would like to see a minimum of at least 16GB RAM. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to at least read my thread and hopefully I can help you somewhere else down the line.  

Just now, mepwm said:

I am very interested in switching over to team red for my next CPU. What are some pros and cons to doing so? And what kind of suggestions would anyone have for me?  I am mostly focused on the strongest value for money in regards to MOBO/CPU/RAM. I would like to see a minimum of at least 16GB RAM. 

Benefits: More cores, better performance in multi-core workloads, lower price.
Disadvantages: Lower performance in single core workloads than some Intel CPUs, lower performance in games than some Intel CPUs.

Ryzen 3000 is a few months away and should see some improvements there for the red team.

3 minutes ago, mepwm said:

but after bricking my old motherboard, my i5 2500k is out of play. (Newbie mistake, bending some pins while reseating a new CPU cooler.)

You may be able to repair the motherboard with the bent pins. As long as the pins are only bent and not missing you can often repair it by bending the pins back in to place. Might still want to build a new rig as a daily driver, but if you could tinker a bit and get the old board working you might be able to find a use for a second system, or sell it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

One benefit I consider very important is the upgrade path. AMD claims that AM4 will be supported until ryzen 4. So you could buy a nice b450 or X470 MB and buy a used ryzen 5 1600 and switch it out for a 3rd Gen ryzen when they launch in June/July (or August, who knows). 

You would only be missing the PCIe 4.0 support but unless you are planning to go 2x 2080ti sli it probably won't make a huge difference.