8k HTPC graphics card

A Lini

As 8k tvs become a thing  what graphics card will be needed for 8k 60 fps video playback.

I do know that they will cost like 5k for the base model and am willing to pay that for longevity.

1 minute ago, A Lini said:

As 8k tvs become a thing  what graphics card will be needed for 8k 60 fps video playback.

I do know that they will cost like 5k for the base model and am willing to pay that.

If you're talking about video then 60 FPS isn't gonna be what most media will be played back at.  If you're talking gaming then you're asking an almost impossible question to answer.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

If you're talking about video then 60 FPS isn't gonna be what most media will be played back at.  If you're talking gaming then you're asking an almost impossible question to answer.  

or like 24 fps just wanted to be able to play the video back as fast as it would be played back so 60fps for watching youtube, and its just for movie watching, and of course watching LTT at the maximum resolution.

technically anything from nvidias line that supports the resolution should be able to play back an 8k video. this is 2d imagery not 3d. the bitrate of the video will affect the cpu but not so much the gpu.

I also imagine someone is gonna do something with a codec that will help optimize it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, emosun said:

technically anything from nvidias line that supports the resolution should be able to play back an 8k video. this is 2d imagery not 3d. the bitrate of the video will affect the cpu but not so much the gpu.

so then what level of cpu should I use

1 minute ago, A Lini said:

so then what level of cpu should I use

depends on the birate of the video and the speed of the drives on the system or the speed of the network

1 minute ago, emosun said:

depends on the birate of the video and the speed of the drives on the system or the speed of the network

ok thanks for the help

4K is not mainstream yet, there's a little like 10% youtubers are doing 4K.

You need 2-3 times longer to render in 4k.

You need at least 50mbps to stream 4K youtube, bandwidth most people don't have.

There's no consumer grade 8k camera. No footage, no 8k.

I think 4k will be mainstream at least 3 more years.

After that 8k will have harder times to get mainstream as 4K is very sharp.

You will get to the point where human eyes no longer can see the tiny pixels.

So for recommendations, i recommend you to buy what ever visible today.

A GTX 2060 is the best price to perfomance right now.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

go for recommendations, i recommend you to buy what ever visible today.

A GTX 2060 is the best price to perfomance right now.

for just 4k 60htz video playback a 2060 is overkill and over priced....as long as the video card has hdmi 2.0 and can support 4k/60 then thats all you need...400 series or newer amd...900 series nvidea or newer.....any tier of them just make sure it has hdmi 2.0...hell even the newerish intel onchip gpus can do 4k/60
you dont need anything like a 2060 unless you plan on gaming with it

7 minutes ago, circeseye said:

for just 4k 60htz video playback a 2060 is overkill and over priced....as long as the video card has hdmi 2.0 and can support 4k/60 then thats all you need...400 series or newer amd...900 series nvidea or newer.....any tier of them just make sure it has hdmi 2.0...hell even the newerish intel onchip gpus can do 4k/60
you dont need anything like a 2060 unless you plan on gaming with it

I mean, Linus did a vid on some 2.5" SSD sized PC with a low power atom and it could stream 4K from youtube with only a few hitches. Throw an i7 8700 in an HTPC and you should be good for the foreseeable future. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch