SP120 or ML120? (radiator fans)

Found some money i dont care about, want new radiator to add some lighting in my case and because one of my Fractal Design GP x12s is dead so is there much to justefy the price increase of the ML120s over the SP120s? 5 ML120s comes out to €125 and 8 SP120s is €55 so the price difference is quite large, i could definatly get some other stuff i want with the money i save on the SPs over the MLs.

Thanks for any help :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Truthfully, both are great fans. I personally have 6 ML120/140 fans in my system, 5 on radiators, and love em. They are whisper quiet. From your question that you have money to burn and want more lighting.. go with the MLs. Is it worth the double in price for the lights? No, not really. But at this point its more for looks than cost. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you really want those lights, then get RGB Vardar fans.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 minute ago, Quadriplegic said:

If you really want those lights, then get RGB Vardar fans.

not an option, i only have one store and they have an absolute garbage selection of stuff -_- 

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Truthfully, both are great fans. I personally have 6 ML120/140 fans in my system, 5 on radiators, and love em. They are whisper quiet. From your question that you have money to burn and want more lighting.. go with the MLs. Is it worth the double in price for the lights? No, not really. But at this point its more for looks than cost. 

yah im just thinking i could get like a 2TB HDD too if i get the SPs, its a hard choice :/ the MLs are right at the limit of the money while the SPs leave quite a bit of room left that i could do something with. Sucks that the only store i can spend this money at has jack shit in the way of watercooling stuff like ratiators or hardline tubing. all they have is one shitty EK CPU block, a coupple of fittings from bitspower and a crapload of super expensive shitty 240mm AIOs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Corsair does offer worldwide shipping to most places.  Just another option since you said the local store has limited stock.

If you're looking for all out performance, I would go with the ML series.  They push a good amount of air at lower RPM's, which makes it so you don't have to crank them up to cool your rig.  In addition, the Magnetic Levitation makes them quiet across the entire RPM band due to reduced friction.  Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

7 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Corsair does offer worldwide shipping to most places.  Just another option since you said the local store has limited stock.

If you're looking for all out performance, I would go with the ML series.  They push a good amount of air at lower RPM's, which makes it so you don't have to crank them up to cool your rig.  In addition, the Magnetic Levitation makes them quiet across the entire RPM band due to reduced friction.  Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Well the store has plenty of SP and ML fans, just a very crap assortment of other computer parts and so on. Mls seem like a better option though because the SPs with the white LEDs don't seem like as good of a radiator fan

Builds:

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Found some money i dont care about, want new radiator to add some lighting in my case and because one of my Fractal Design GP x12s is dead so is there much to justefy the price increase of the ML120s over the SP120s? 5 ML120s comes out to €125 and 8 SP120s is €55 so the price difference is quite large, i could definatly get some other stuff i want with the money i save on the SPs over the MLs.

Thanks for any help :D 

I upgraded to four ML140 fans last year, and it's a double edged sword. They are incredibly quiet (obviously still loud from the airflow when they reach high RPM, but some tweaking with my fan curve fixed that), but in the absence of the fans humming I realized just how loud my hard drive is. A dull hum may be preferable if any of your drives are loud, so keep that in mind.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I upgraded to four ML140 fans last year, and it's a double edged sword. They are incredibly quiet (obviously still loud from the airflow when they reach high RPM, but some tweaking with my fan curve fixed that), but in the absence of the fans humming I realized just how loud my hard drive is. A dull hum may be preferable if any of your drives are loud, so keep that in mind.

Sound isn't a major concern, Il probably just slam them with 7V and leave them, unless they are quieter than I expect and I run them faster than that. Feels kinda shit to strap nice fanns to my 240 rad because it's kinda shit. It's an EK Coolstream SE which really doesn't seem to do much to me

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Sound isn't a major concern, Il probably just slam them with 7V and leave them, unless they are quieter than I expect and I run them faster than that. Feels kinda shit to strap nice fanns to my 240 rad because it's kinda shit. It's an EK Coolstream SE which really doesn't seem to do much to me

Well how quiet they are is the major selling point of the ML series fans. Definitely get the cheaper ones if you aren't going for a silent system.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

If you're talking about voltage, these are PWM fans, and will require the fan header or fan controller to be set to PWM mode so they run at 12v full time to properly operate.  You'll still be able to control fan speed in PWM mode.  If you run them with voltage control, you run the chance of them producing noise and not performing correctly.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

16 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

If you're talking about voltage, these are PWM fans, and will require the fan header or fan controller to be set to PWM mode so they run at 12v full time to properly operate.  You'll still be able to control fan speed in PWM mode.  If you run them with voltage control, you run the chance of them producing noise and not performing correctly.

Ah shit didn't think about PWM, only got one or two 4 pin headers, never had any PWM fans tbh... Don't think I can get a PWM splitter in that price so I guess SPs it is? Not sure if I want to get the LED variants or the non LED ones and a light bar, LED ones are cheaper but seem to perform worse? 

Builds:

Spoiler

The SP120 RGB fans would be the option to go with if you don't spring for the ML120's.  Improved frame and fan blade design similar to the ML's.  They are 3pin, so you can use voltage control as well.

16 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

The SP120 RGB fans would be the option to go with if you don't spring for the ML120's.  Improved frame and fan blade design similar to the ML's.  They are 3pin, so you can use voltage control as well.

I have SP140s (the ones bundled with the H110i GTX) and they use 4 pins, are those a different model? voltage control works with these too

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

40 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

ok, il go for those then. two three packs with the hub and controllers would be the cheapest option then, as those are marked down a little right now. feels like a bit of a waste to get two controllers and all that when im just going to have them on static white forever tho(unless the yellow is really good, which it never is. RGB yellow pretty much always sucks :() but i assume i can plug in other fans to the hub and they will work fine? 

bit of a shame that the only way to make that work visually would be to not put SPs on my 240 rad though, cant afford to add another two fans to the three fan kits so it would have to be one kit and two fans which is pretty much the price of two kits -_- 

What color do the fans go to if there is no controller? just none?

Builds:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, aezakmi said:

I have SP140s (the ones bundled with the H110i GTX) and they use 4 pins, are those a different model? voltage control works with these too

The SP140 fans in the cooler kit are different from the SP120 RGB fans.  I double checked to make sure before suggesting them.

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok, il go for those then. two three packs with the hub and controllers would be the cheapest option then, as those are marked down a little right now. feels like a bit of a waste to get two controllers and all that when im just going to have them on static white forever tho(unless the yellow is really good, which it never is. RGB yellow pretty much always sucks :() but i assume i can plug in other fans to the hub and they will work fine? 

bit of a shame that the only way to make that work visually would be to not put SPs on my 240 rad though, cant afford to add another two fans to the three fan kits so it would have to be one kit and two fans which is pretty much the price of two kits -_- 

What color do the fans go to if there is no controller? just none?

Without a controller connected, I believe there is no illumination.  If you want a specific color or lighting effect, it's always best to pair any of our RGB fans with the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro.

7 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Without a controller connected, I believe there is no illumination.  If you want a specific color or lighting effect, it's always best to pair any of our RGB fans with the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro.

ok, and those dont come with the SPs from what i can find and you need to add them separately.

its great that you answer these questions because even the best forum threads are hard to understand. kinda unclear what comes with what and how you controll everything but six SP120 RGBs it is, the other button controller and hub will just never leave the box.

really apretiate the help here :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

So if you purchase the (3) pack SP120 RGB fans, they come with an LED hub and manual controller with a couple preset profiles and colors.  The Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro are sold separate, and will connect to the LED hub, then allow you to have full software control using iCUE.

Haha, not a problem.  I'm here as much as I can to help all of you guys out.