What is this Worth?

Undertaker225

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section. 

My brother wants to buy a computer I built a few years back that I use sparingly, but I want to give him a fair price with respect to today's economic value of those pieces. I was wondering if someone could inform me if $800 is too high, too low, or roughly accurate for the build listed below. 

Monitor: off-brand 32" 1080p

Keyboard: razer chroma v2

CPU: i5-4440

GPU: GTX 1070

Memory: 16G

Storage: 512G SSD (over SATA) & 1TBHDD

Some substandard motherboard. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Maybe like $550-600. $650 at the most.

I'd definitely lean towards the 550

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Is he using his own case and PSU or did you forget to list that as well?  Assuming it's a completed system the fair price should be lower than it would cost to buy all that stuff on ebay or craigslist.  I'd say between 600-700 is possibly fair depending on the quality of the SSD, RAM, and monitor (assuming case and PSU of course).

6 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section. 

My brother wants to buy a computer I built a few years back that I use sparingly, but I want to give him a fair price with respect to today's economic value of those pieces. I was wondering if someone could inform me if $800 is too high, too low, or roughly accurate for the build listed below. 

Monitor: off-brand 32" 1080p

Keyboard: razer chroma v2

CPU: i5-4440

GPU: GTX 1070

Memory: 16G

Storage: 512G SSD (over SATA) & 1TBHDD

Some substandard motherboard. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, 

Thank you!

I agree with @Slottr and @That_PC_Kid. The i5 4440, substandard motherboard and the fact that it uses DDR3 RAM which will be 2 generations behind in a few months here really brings the price down. The 32 inch 1080p monitor doesn't add much value, esp. since 1080p at 32 inches isn't going to look the best.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

1 minute ago, LogicWeasel said:

Is he using his own case and PSU or did you forget to list that as well?  Assuming it's a completed system the fair price is going to be lower than would it would cost to buy all that stuff on ebay or craigslist.  I'd say between 600-700 is likely pretty fair depending on the quality of the SSD, RAM, and monitor (assuming case and PSU of course).

Yes. It's a whole build. Nothing special about the case or PSU. Everything runs perfectly. Thanks for the info!

I just picked this out as standard for what a new machine of that performance will cost, so... yeah, to compensate for the lack of upgradability and used status, $500 will be my target price.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Is he using his own case and PSU or did you forget to list that as well?  Assuming it's a completed system the fair price is going to be lower than would it would cost to buy all that stuff on ebay or craigslist.  I'd say between 600-700 is likely pretty fair depending on the quality of the SSD, RAM, and monitor (assuming case and PSU of course).

It's using an i5 4440 and DDR3 RAM on a budget motherboard...

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Monitor...let's call it $50-80 depending on condition. I'm guessing it's not 144 Hz or curved or anything like that.

Keyboard...no comment. I consider used keyboards to be more or less worthless, especially Razer garbage

CPU...$60-70

GPU...$200-250 (depends on the AIB and model, but probably closer to $250)

RAM...8GB of generic DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 will go for $20 right now, so if that's what he has, it's worth roughly $40. There are exceptions to that. If he has 8GB DIMMs, those are worth more. If he has fancy RAM with big heatsinks, those also tend to go for more. Likewise, DDR3-1866 goes for more. $40 is the baseline price, but it could be worth as much as $60-80.

SSD: $40. 480GB SSDs go for $50 right now.

HDD: $30

You didn't specify the motherboard or PSU, so I'm going to guess both are generic and not worth a lot. If that assumption is true and it's using an H81 motherboard and a 500W arson box, $500 would be my target price, and I really wouldn't go any higher than that.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

2 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

It's using an i5 4440 and DDR3 RAM on a budget motherboard...

Yeah that's a point, I may have over-inflated my numbers for the keyboard and display, and assumed retail value of the GTX 1070.  Perhaps around 450-500 assuming the PSU is a level above cheap trash (but not EVGA or Seasonic [a good brand] 550W + modular or better).

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Monitor...let's call it $50-80 depending on condition. I'm guessing it's not 144 Hz or curved or anything like that.

Keyboard...no comment. I consider used keyboards to be more or less worthless, especially Razer garbage

CPU...$60-70

GPU...$200-250 (depends on the AIB and model, but probably closer to $250)

RAM...8GB of generic DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 will go for $20 right now, so if that's what he has, it's worth roughly $40. There are exceptions to that. If he has 8GB DIMMs, those are worth more. If he has fancy RAM with big heatsinks, those also tend to go for more. Likewise, DDR3-1866 goes for more. $40 is the baseline price, but it could be worth as much as $60-80.

SSD: $40. 480GB SSDs go for $50 right now.

HDD: $30

You didn't specify the motherboard or PSU, so I'm going to guess both are generic and not worth a lot. If that assumption is true and it's using an H81 motherboard and a 500W arson box, $500 would be my target price, and I really wouldn't go any higher than that.

Monitor is curved if that adds anything. 2, 8G DIMMs for the RAM. 60Hz display. Leaning around $500-$550. Looking at Facebook marketplace, it seems to be flooded with worse systems for more money though. 

5 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

Monitor is curved if that adds anything. 2, 8G DIMMs for the RAM. 60Hz display. Leaning around $500-$550. Looking at Facebook marketplace, it seems to be flooded with worse systems for more money though. 

It's good you're looking at your local market.  But remember that just because someone dumb on Facebook marketplace is asking a stupid price doesn't mean people on facebook are willing to pay a stupid price, and it's only worth what willing buyers are paying if you're looking at what the local value really is.

I see the same thing on my local craigslist.  The minute a decent priced item shows up it gets bought and disappears, meanwhile 5 overpriced listings for GTX 1060s remain on the page being sold by people who think it's good to ask retail $ for them.

4 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

It's good you're looking at your local market.  But remember that just because someone dumb on Facebook marketplace is asking a stupid price doesn't mean people on facebook are willing to pay a stupid price, and it's only worth what willing buyers are paying if you're looking at what the local value really is.

I see the same thing on my local craigslist.  The minute a decent priced item shows up it gets bought and disappears, meanwhile 5 overpriced listings for GTX 1060s remain on the page being sold by people who think it's good to ask retail $ for them.

Seems legit. Thanks for the help!

44 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

Knowing the OEM and model of the monitor would help here. There are some really nice "off-brand" curved 1080p displays out there.

Take a look at Facebook Marketplace and see how long those postings sit for. If they're clearing out within a week of being put up, price yours up. If they're sitting for weeks, price yours according to how quickly you want it to sell. There are people on Craigslist and FB Marketplace around here who still want $150 for a Core 2 Duo or $100 for a Pentium 4.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.